Jared Goff was one of the NFL's best passers vs. the blitz in 2021

Well, given that about half of Reddit users operate on IQs in the same range of the high temperatures in Michigan in April, that doesn’t shock me.

You sure are putting a lot of effort into trying to discredit Goff here.
You got the negative excuses flowing.
Does it really matter where Jared throws the ball if he’s not being sacked and keeping drives alive?

A lot of mixed energy coming from you Biggy.

1 Like

Tell me what you see, man.

What is a negative excuse? What you seeing there?

Depends on what is/isn’t available.

YES!!! Exactly.
I have VERY mixed energy. I am very nervous about him.
I expect him to kick ass regular season. I hope he can playoffs.
The “facts” presented in the article do NOT sell me on Goff at all. If what he did under pressure last year is what we expect from him in the playoffs, I dont want it. Gotta do better, IMO. Anyone that watched Goff under pressure last year and thought that was good, has lower standards than me…and that’s okay. Just pointing out they have lower standards than what I hope for.

obviously, we don’t replace him just to do it, but if he performs the same as last year, IMO, that’s nothing to brag about or keep around.

I think he will do much better…I really do. Can he do it when we are in the playoffs?
10th ranked QB rating while under pressure is good. Completion % while under pressure

Goff has generally been very good against the blitz and when pressure is brought.

Let’s go back to his college days shall we?

His performance under pressure: The Rams’ offensive line is still young and a work in progress, so having a quarterback who can keep his eyes down the field and deliver the ball when pressure closes in remains paramount. Goff was as good as any major college quarterback in this area in 2015. Goff was sacked, under duress or hit 24 percent of the time last season. On those plays where the result wasn’t a sack, he completed 45.9 percent of his passes for 7.17 yards per attempt with seven touchdowns and three interceptions. Goff was even better when opponents brought the blitz but didn’t necessarily create pressure. When defenses sent an extra man after him, Goff threw 20 touchdowns on 131 attempts, a rate of 15.3 percent.

and here:

and here:

He’s usually been good under pressure. It’s actually easier for him to process the field. Someone on here noted last year that he reads low to high instead of high to low like Stafford and that is probably correct. This means if Goff sees the blitz, he is looking for his outlet play or attacking that area of the field.

He went turtle mode more often than typical in his career early last year and that is because I really don’t think he trusted his WRs or the game plan. It got so much better after Reynolds and DC took over. Hoping that trend continues with even more weapons and OL health.

3 Likes

Of all the stuff that has been posted, I don’t care about it nearly as much as I care about this last paragraph. I really appreciate the insight. I know you have seen much more of Goff than I have. I also know he’s your fav player. That said, this feels honest. It doesn’t feel defensive or attacking. It feels honest. Depending on what aspect of him we’re talking about, some of you guys probably think I’m bipolar, when it comes to discussing him.

There were most definitely some extenuating circumstances last year.
If Goff can prove to be what you some of you guys see in him, that is SO much better for the Lions. I’ll be super happy if he can be “the guy,” and we can go get My DT and RB with the first 2 picks next offseason. :muscle: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve seen Goffs college days as well as his time as a Rams QB.

I’ll be a straight shooter here! After watching him in college I’ve been slightly underwhelmed by his pocket presence in NFL. Now, he hasn’t been bad in this department and he has flashed some ability to make plays when things breakdown. But he hasn’t been consistent enough with doing it. It’s a area he could improve on.

That said, in McVays offense he was constantly dropping back and running playaction which are not ideal situations vs quick pressure. With the Lions Goff was in shotgun more last season. But to start the season he had no receivers, supbar oline play and a OC who lost his job. Personally, I’m not going to grade him with those conditions. Yes he played poorly but it’s far from fair to expect anything in those conditions. I think some fans haven’t been fair to Goff considering.

This is arguably Goffs biggest year in regards to his QB legacy and future. Does he bounce back as a pro bowl level QB or become a bridge type like Fitzpatrick?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.