Jaylen Waddle is Odell Beckham

I’m actually the least sure about Chase. I still think he’s going to be terrific but given the year off and separation issues relative to the Bama guys I just have a smidge of pause. On the flip side Chase’s pure desire and ability to exert his will at the catch point paired with his aggression and determination after the catch is pretty damn rare.

I suspect all three with good health will be quite good. Personally I think Smith has the best chance of ending up a legend. :man_shrugging:

IN!
If true, let’s do this!

Despite their size both Smith and Waddle are excellent in contested catches and jump balls. Both are physical for their size. That’s why I like both of them. Also I think the just a “speed” receiver part is a big disservice to Waddle’s skillset.

1 Like

I’d take Smith and Chase over Waddle but Waddle really improved his hand usage this last year and closed the gap. I’d be happy to get any of them.

Watch this video as proof … this was week 1 this year.

Let me ask this question … as all of you watch these Waddle and Smith highlight reels do you come away impressed with. Mac Jones accuracy?

I think he’s a very under appreciated QB and is far better than people give him credit for being.

1 Like

Crazy if all three were off the board when we pick.

Its not that people don’t see it, its that its being graded on a curve. He has such prestine conditions to throw the ball under that its hard to see many of his throws happening in the NFL the way they went down in college. So we are relegated to watching only the dirty throws, and there aren’t many.

In short…its not that he can’t do it. Its just that he really wasn’t asked to do it much in college. So its a question mark.

1 Like

Is Waddle a mental midget like Crog?

That’s just it … if you do the research you will see that his average time to throw is right on par with that of other top QB candidates. So it’s not like he has more time to make the throw.

People down grade him because of the talent around him but his time to throw isn’t any different than other prospects and having great WR’s doesn’t increase your accuracy.

I look at Burrows last year who had great receivers (every bit as good as Alabama’s) and one of the best OL in the country. All everyone talked about was how accurate Burrows was.

I really like Mac Jones. I think the Patriots pick him at 15.

I do like Jones. I think he is a superior prospect to Lance personally. Just because Lance is so raw, while Jones is so polished. Everyone falls in love with legs and arms, but I think Jones will be on a roster 6 years from now and I can’t say that as much about Lance IMO.

1 Like

No.

I do as well.

When I watch him play and watch him throw I can’t help but get that Kurt Warner feel.

Both throw a beautiful spiral, that arch’s similarly and just hits its mark with amazing accuracy.

Not to mention both were under appreciated pocket passers.

I believe if he lands in the right system that he will excel. Personally I think SF is the perfect landing spot for him. I hope he lands there.

More importantly I’m hoping SF is willing to trade up to 7OA to get him.

He’s a quick decision-maker for certain which shows in the time it takes him to throw, but what that stat doesn’t show is how well he was protected when he made that throw. He can be very comfortable back there and make calm decisions because of the talent of that line, whereas if he played for say, Florida State, his health might depend on how quickly he processed. Those are two very different situations.

But we don’t know that Jones couldn’t succeed in that situation.
Lightning fast processing, avoidance of mistakes, top notch leadership, and big time accuracy is a deadly combination and he might just have it in spades.

We shall see. The latter three seem pretty apparent to me.

1 Like

You’re right, just because he hasn’t done it doesn’t mean he can’t, but it’s absolutely part of the evaluation. He was leading pretty much the best team in history to ever lead as a QB, whether you think he can do so when the advantages aren’t so stark, well, that’s for each FO to decide. But it would certainly give me pause.

Davis Mills is a very similar prospect and I think he’s actually a quicker decision-maker, and in a pro style offense without Jones’s advantages. I am more impressed by that.

I get that but the Clemson OL that Lawrence stood behind was considered one of the better OL in the Nation and the Ohio States OL is ranked right up there with Alabama’s. Burrows OL at LSU was also highly ranked. You don’t see people use that excuse for those QB’s … which is my point.

It’s interesting that you brought up Florida State. Did you know that Florida States pass blocking was rated 11th best in the nation while Alabama’s was 30th?

It just seems that people negate the great pass blocking these other QB’s have but then hold it against Mac Jones. There’s a double standard here.

Definitely prefer boobs and butts.

2 Likes

Those were good collegiate offensive lines but not anywhere near the level of Alabama’s, which had five guys who are gonna be drafted in the first two days of their respective drafts, and one who looks like he might go top ten (Evan Neal). That’s an unprecedented level of talent. It is literally the best situation a college QB’s ever been in, indisputably. Now you might think he’ll succeed outside of that situation and fair enough, that’s your evaluation. But he’s had it very good.

I pulled Florida State out of my ass, just replace them with another subpar oline, the point remains the same.

Warner is an interesting comparison. I see shades of Bledsoe as well.

Not sure if SF is a great fit. Jones is cringeworthy when rolling out. Boot action isn’t something I can see Jones excelling at.

Your basing his QB play off of where his OL were drafted? Not by how they actually played? …Not by their rankings and not by how well they protected the QB? And not by how much time they gave the QB to throw?

The problem with doing that is that you have good college players that don’t translate well to the pros and vice versa. Or you might have two NFL level OL on a crappy OL. Not to mention that players coming out of a pro style blocking system like Alabama’s tend to get drafted more than players coming out of a spread offense.

For example Michigan, Iowa, and Georgia always have a ton of OL drafted but they rarely have the best college OL.

But let’s look at the 2020 draft anyway and use your reasoning.

Alabama had 1 OL drafted in the entire draft.
LSU had 5 drafted and a TE.
Clemson had 2
OSU had 1

So why don’t we use the same logic for Burrow, Fields and Lawrence?