Jeff Okudah Listed as 'Dangerously Close' to Being NFL Bust

Is it just me or does ot look like he has really long arms?

1 Like

They forgot to tell us he is Tayshaun Prince’s 1/2 brother. :wink:

2 Likes

A quick google search says they are just below 33 inches. Which means his arms are almost long enough to play LT. Out of curiousity I looked up Josh Norman, who i always thought had exceptionally long arms. They are virtually identical to Okudah. Jalen Ramsey’s arms are over 33 inches long. Wow.

Why does it look like hes running in an airport?

3 Likes

We have well over 6 months until opening day and over 5 months until training camp. I’ll be here to eat my crow if I’m wrong but I’ve already said on here that I believe he proves to be a legit #1 CB this year.

4 Likes

Love this, man. Hoping you are right.

2 Likes

It’s a great sign that he’s running like that in late February for sure. Modern day surgery techniques sure are amazing, his career would have been over if he played 30 or 40 years ago.

I think he’s out to prove a lot of people wrong, especially all those sports writers calling him a bust. Gotta get and stay healthy of course, that’s the hardest part in the nfl for so many players. Injuries destroy so many careers before they really get started. And coming back from serious injuries is difficult physically, but in many cases it’s the mental aspects of recovering from injuries that are so tough. Similar to a boxer or mix martial arts fighter coming back from being knocked out. It’s a serious mental hurdle.

Wish Okudah all the best. He’s got some real good coaches in AG and Pleasant. It sure would give this defense a major boost if he came back and played decent. Same goes for Romeo, who had the same surgery. Those 2 guys are true wildcards for B. Holmes heading into roster building time.

4 Likes

That’s why Billy Sims’ injury still stings so much for me.

His career ended with an injury that now he’d be back and 100% by the next season.

He would have been one of the all-timers that everyone talks about.

7 Likes

He’s out to prove more right than he is those wrong.
That’s what I appreciate about the dude. I admire that perspective much more than putting a chip on his shoulder.

1 Like

Those are the lowest hurdles I have ever seen.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

LOL. Exactly!

Exactly. Nothing says 21 point comeback loss like sending in a bad Cornerback… If Iffy is our #2 CB, we’re probably OK, with AO on the other side and Jacobs/Parker in the slot. If by some miracle Okudah makes his way to surpass Iffy et all, so be it.

2 Likes

I did laugh at this, you are right but it’s February. Let’s give the kid a chance to come back. 5 months away from training camp, the worst thing is him doing something stupid in recovery. Anyone that has coached sports knows this.

Always downplay kids expectations coming back from injury to help protect them. Always!!

1 Like

I hate to admit this… but I did find myself thinking it was a little risky having those “tiny hurdles” there… because it would be totally Lions luck to have him step on one and tear it again.

On the other hand… the “tiny” hurdles thing was just a joke… and hopefully he has a successful recovery like Akers has had so far.

2 Likes

Wooord!

Yea i get it now, reading it back through. We are all on the same team.

1 Like

I know people want to point to Akers and say …. if he can do it so can Okudah. But I think that’s very short sided and premature to assume.

2/3rds of the players who suffer an Achilles injury try to make a comeback. Most of those are out of the league in 3 years. Most of them see some decrease in their abilities and performance.

Let’s look at Akers post injury for a quick second.

Akers averaged just shy of 5 yards per carry before his injury and just 2.8 yards per carry post injury.

Akers pre injury averaged 110 yards a game but post injury just 43 yards a game.

Yet his snap count was near identical pre and post injury. Akers started 3 games in the playoffs and had 67 total carries. He definitely wasn’t the same player.

I high expect the Ram to look to improve their RB depth just incase.

I think the jury is very much out on Akers.

I do agree that Akers production was not great… but can’t really compare his “pre-injury” production to his post-injury production since it was in different years. It also has to be considered that he may still be gaining strength back since he returned in less than 6 months,

Also… the historical data for Achilles injuries is terrible… but it has been discussed several times that advances in procedures… and more importantly… the rehab process… have resulted in better outcomes in recent years. Looking back 5+ years at previous success rates is irrelevant.

This is truly a case a of wait and see.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some research on achilles injuries. It turns out they are actually life threatening.

1 Like

Kratos causes Achillis injuries. :wink:
ALWAYS life threatening.

We took a grabby CB at #3 that ran a 4.48 at the combine. I never expected great. My hope was at least average to maybe above average if we were lucky.

The injury has me believing CB may not even be in his future. If he’s near 100% healthy, Safety may be his best way to start in the NFL again.