Jets Approach CJ Mosley for restructure

Gotta avoid the massive Rodgers cap hit next year.

The 30-year-old is due to count $21.5MM on the Jets’ capsheet for each of the next two seasons. …
Mosley signed a five-year, $85MM pact in 2019, one which helped raise the ceiling of contracts at the position. He joined the Jets with substantial expectations given those terms, along with his level of play with the Ravens at the start of his career. However, the former first-rounder played just two games in his first year in the Big Apple and opted out of the 2020 season

The Jets currently have $24.8MM in cap space, but they have yet to work out a new deal with Aaron Rodgers , something which will be necessary to avoid a 2024 cap hit of over $107MM. Moving on from Mosley, meanwhile, would result in considerable dead money charges in each of the next two years, providing potential incentive to agree to another restructure this offseason. It will be interesting to monitor how the Jets proceed with their remaining financial hurdles given their win-now approach.

1 Like

I hope the whole thing comes tumbling down upon all of their heads, for entertainment purposes.

3 Likes

Seems more like they can’t afford Quinnen Williams and are scrambling.

3 Likes

With the way they are banging the cash register it’s this year or maybe next and then the party is over for some time. They have, on paper, a very good team. Really interested to see if that OL can keep AR upright.

1 Like

yup - they’re in trouble. Love it

3 Likes

Plus Rodgers.

1 Like

The Jets are simply following the plan the Rams took in 2021 and hoping for the same results. That plan was to make one desperate lunge with future assets to win the Super Bowl at the expense of sustained excellence. The Rams plan worked for one season and their rings validate their approach. Can the Jets too make the basketball equivalent of a mid-court shot? We’ll see.

I much prefer the Holmbell approach of sustainable excellence with annual expectations of being viable contenders in the playoffs, while avoiding the predictable nuclear winters like the Rams are experiencing and the Jets will be soon.

2 Likes

Erin is older and coming off his worst season as a starter. Sad to see him go.

Although I agree he was trending down last season. He did win the MVP in both 2020, 2021. Not having Adams and a bunch of rookie WR’s I think was a big part of the issue last year.

The Jets got some weapons for him and a very good defense. The obstacle is they are in the same division with the Bills, gonna be really hard to win the division for the Jets.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Rodgers have a strong 2024, one reason is what SBoyd said with the new weapons last year.

I think he will come in totally recharged and ready to shut up his critics with regards to 2022 and his 2023 performance. Biggest question is the Jets OL, how good are, aren’t, they?

1 Like

Rookie center, Joe Tippman, decent at Wisconsin. Mekhi Becton coming off of injury and not wanting to play RT but LT, that’s Duane Browns job right now. Laken Tomlinson, former Lion at RG and former first round pick Alijaf Vera Tucker at LG. They used some picks on this OL but the reality is that last season they were bad.

" 2022 Jets offensive line

Most teams decimated by this level of injury would struggle on the line, and the Jets were no different. They allowed 192 pressures on 689 pass-blocking snaps, per PFF, the seventh most in the league. Their pass-blocking efficiency ranked 22nd.Jan 27, 2023

Injuries on the OL and RB really hampered their game. At this point I think their running game will be the difference for AR, if he can get the production out of them like he got from his guys in GB it will be harder to tee off on him.

2 Likes

That was almost convincing.:clap:

1 Like