Joe Dahl is hurt too; Kenny Golladay expected to sit again

Now Lions guard Joe Dahl is hurt too; Kenny Golladay expected to sit again

Updated 1:11 PM; Today 11:52 AM

Week 3: Eagles vs. Lions

Detroit Lions’ Joe Dahl spikes the ball after a touchdown by Kerryon Johnson during the first half of an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Michael Perez)AP

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Kyle Meinke | [email protected]

ALLEN PARK – The Detroit Lions’ injury woes have spread to their offensive line, where Joe Dahl has become the second starter to go down.

Dahl, Detroit’s starting left guard, popped up with a groin injury on Thursday’s practice report. He was listed as limited, then didn’t practice at all on Friday. His status for Sunday’s game against Green Bay is unclear. Game designations are due this afternoon.

Detroit is also without right tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai, who suffered a foot injury in practice last week. He missed the opener against Chicago and didn’t practice all week. That’s a blow for a Lions team that just spent $45 million on him – more than any other free agent – although Tyrell Crosby also played pretty well in his place against the Bears.

Rookie Logan Stenberg is Dahl’s backup on the depth chart, although veterans Oday Aboushi and Kenny Wiggins (who is on the practice squad) seem like more likely starting candidates if Dahl can’t go on Sunday. Both are veterans who have been around since last year and know this system well.

“Logan, I thought during the course of camp really got better," coach Matt Patricia said. "We had to move him around a little bit. We were trying to take a look at some different positions, so I think he played guard and center – center quite a bit, especially early when Beau Benzschawel got a little bit dinged up. We’ve settled him down into one position now I think as the end of camp and the beginning of season has started. Now I’ve really started to see his improvement in that area, just being a little bit calmer with the calls and the techniques, still learning the system obviously and a lot of nuances with the offensive line to really kind of capture on his part. I think it’s been a steady, steady improvement.

"We still have a long way to go though from that standpoint, but it’s been good to be able to just have him in one spot.”

Receiver Kenny Golladay missed practice again on Friday and is expected to sit a second straight game with that hamstring injury. Quintez Cephus was his replacement against Chicago, catching three passes on 10 targets for 43 yards.

Detroit has been hardest hit in the secondary, where Justin Coleman (hamstring) has been placed on injured reserve and Desmond Trufant (hamstring) did not practice all week. Darryl Roberts (calf) did not practice on Wednesday, but returned on Thursday and Friday.

Jeff Okudah (hamstring) has returned to a full practice load and could start in his NFL debut on Sunday.

1 Like

daaaaaaaaaammmmmn

Absence of Trufant probably the most worrying injury, for me. But, could be seeing the duo of the future out there in Okudah/Oruwariye. Let’s hope is a positive opening statement.

I didn’t realize that Coleman was put on IR either. Shit the bed.

1 Like