Johnny Newton vs Calijah Kancey

look, I’m tired of the sad story of how we “missed out” on Calijah , the kid got himself into the trouble he experienced despite how good The name Kancey is-ship sailed. enter 2024 and a promising, simular guy in Newton- I like Newton , however I don’t think he will fall to us.

1 Like

Except Kancey didnt play against pro level talent in college and has undraftable arm length. He was a liability against the run last year and will continue to be.

Johnny is 100x the prospect that Kancey was. To say he is just bigger is an understatement.

So you must have missed the draft last year when he was so undraftable, went 19OA to Tampa Bay, a team that made the playoffs. Kancey had a pretty good 2 playoff games logging 1.5 sacks. I don’t think we had a DT that did that… As to playing against “pro level talent” yes he did. Though it does matter let’s see where a Toledo Rocket goes this year. Quite possibly will be the first CB taken and definitely will go in the top half or round one. Kancey had the best 40 of any DT in history. Thus he was a first round pick and rightly so.

1 Like

100X?? So he’ll go where compared to Kancey going 19OA? It’s fine that you like Newton better. He doesn’t have the size limitations Kancey does, but 100X better is just totally talking out your posterior.

Last year we really did need a LB, TE, RB. Alim and maybe Levi were sophomores and thought of a “young”. This year could be Alim’s last here (hope not) - he could go the Jonah route. So, yeah, I think we would be in that market for a 3T; it gives us flexibility.

Newton is one of the guys I’d be happy with at 29.

Makes a lot of sense ^

Last year we really didnt need a RB because we had Swift and Monte at the time. Also it was the two DTs junior seasons. With Levi having missed his sophomore year and wasnt expected to make the team.

Right - they were both between soph and juniors… either way still young. It was viewed as a make or break year for Levi, and we also didn’t know what we had in Pascal yet. Pascal was drafted for that inside rush. Now, its pretty obvious that he’s not the answer toward providing inside pressure.

I am of the school that we are trading down, however Newton is one of a handful that would cause me to run to the podium.

2 Likes