Johnny Newton vs Calijah Kancey

Just the overview… basic info & stats. I’ll let others break down in more detail.

But I don’t think we were interest in Kancey last year, would we be interested in Newton this year?

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 14-20-16 Jer'Zhan Newton Draft and Combine Prospect Profile NFL.com
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 14-23-10 Jer'Zhan Newton College Stats School Draft Gamelog Splits College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 14-21-01 Calijah Kancey Draft and Combine Prospect Profile NFL.com
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 14-23-50 Calijah Kancey College Stats School Draft Gamelog Splits College Football at Sports-Reference.com

1 Like

Striking difference in the way those guys hold up against the run imo.

2 Likes

If you want to compare 2022 #s fine. But in 2023 Newton’s scheme required him to mirror step while in 2021 & 2022 Kancey had a green light to shoot gaps. Even more so than Johnny in 2022. Johnny also was playing through a foot injury in 2023 as well.

Comparing Johnny’s ‘22 to Kancey’s ‘21 probably makes the most sense as that would reduce Calijah’s age advantage to a mere six months. In that year Newton had 51 pressures compared to Kancey’s 38 in 2021. And Newton is average-ish versus the run as opposed to someone you have to hide.

Easy choice IMO.

4 Likes

Newton can also win in more ways when rushing the passer.

Not trying to make this post about which is better prospect… just curious if Brad would be interested or not.

It’s not a great comparison by any means, just a thought I had

1 Like

I dont even think there is a comparison. Kancey will always be limited by his micro penis arms. Newton has more pass rush moves and has the potential to improve against the run.

Why would one effect Brad’s interest in the other?

Are we in the market for a 3T inside rusher, or not I guess is the point.

Last year we had pick #18…and Kancey went pick #19

1 Like

But Kancey is just an entirely different style of player. He’s a niche asset.

Agree…just trying to get some convo going.

I’ve had Newton as a target for us late round 1 since midseason, seems to be a realistic option now in the “consensus mock experts” that he will be there.

Michael Hall is probably a better comp to Kancey but there is so much less production with Hall. And simply reps for that matter.

1 Like

I think Michael Hall has the tools to be a much better pro than Kancey… even if he is just used as a PRS. Hall could develop into more.

For sure. And his 2022 was impressive in the sense that he had just turned 19. I think there is a little more bust potential than there was with Kancey who had a decent floor bc he could be an interior DPR type. Though I suppose Hall can as well, you just don’t have the track record of performance.

For those that view him as a 3T, Dorlus is another option in terms of undersized Twitchy 3Ts. He’s got fairly unique positional versatility to boot.

Listen at 0:55. That transitioning from run D to pass rush efficiently is exactly what our coaches want IMO.

https://x.com/minakimes/status/1780987242200379779?s=46

Once I heard Rick Spielman call him the next Madubuike and a perfect Raven, I went back to the tape and have been moving him up the board.

As a 3T I’ve always thought highly of his his potential. He’s useful as a base end as well but his star potential lies on the inside. Not saying he hits it big like that it will be on the inside IMO.

His ceiling is definitely much higher as a 3T, but am I wrong that he’s seemed kinda stubborn about staying at end? I admit I could be reading too much into it and it may be as simple as doing what he’s asked, I just expected to see a lot more interior reps.

Lanning loves standing up monsters out on the flanks of the offense. And then they have a lot of responsibilities. Kind of tricky to evaluate them as pass rushers. Unless his role changes next year I think Burch next year will remain a tricky one. Personally I think Burch might be better inside too but he’s got more juice so I could see either way.

1 Like

I don’t think TB dropped their 19OA pick for him to only be that. Most DT’s play in a rotation these days, so I don’t view that a guy HAS to be on the field for every snap to not be considered “situational” or “niche.” I loved Kancey’s TFL numbers. It’s a metric I always look for in Dlineman. 27.5 TFL’s over his last two seasons was highly impressive and 3t’s are supposed to shoot gaps. The guy just lived in opposing backfields and I think that tends to translate. Newton is a bigger version of Kancey that isn’t quite the twitchy athlete. I’d be thrilled if he’s our pick, but I like Murphy’s game just a little bit more.

1 Like