Joique Bell defends Dan Campbell

You said: We should listen to the player and not the fan to get it right.

I just wanted to point out that there were a lot of players who came forward to support MP too. Had we listened to those players we would have gotten it wrong.

In Dans case - Chris Carter called Dan out. Should we listen to Carter or Bell?

Carter is an all time douche.

No disrespect, but he’s on record as being a shit stain.

lol … I don’t disagree.

I tend to respect Bell way more than Carter.

But Micheal Strahan and Jimmy Johnson also called out Dan.

My point was that like in the MP case there were players on both sides. Same here in Dans case.

He may turn it around or go down in flames but listening to the players opinions over the fans doesn’t provide any greater insight.

1 Like

Not to defend Dan Campbell, but he’s taking some heat for AG’s mistakes, too. It’s hard to criticize AG directly because, overall, he’s getting more out of his defense than anyone expected. However, those defensive blunders and double-timeouts fall on AG more than DC. It’s easy to just say “Dan’s fault”, just like it was easy to blame Caldwell when Austin had only 10 men on the field several times.

And as for his “mistakes”, he mentioned 3rd and 32, basically saying he should have at least tried to get it in field goal range. His other “mistakes” are not what fans want him to admit. Fans have their list of mistakes that largely consists of being too aggressive in some situations and not aggressive enough in others. That’s not where he’s at with his others. With his, he’s on which hash to throw to where there could have been bigger gains, something we (fans) aren’t even considering.

But, you know, he’s the dim meathead that one of your linked articles says he is…

bbc two dog GIF by BBC

1 Like

The Lions coaching job has to be the most thankless job in football. People continue to expect you to turn water into wine like JC himself.

The Lions have had a talent problem as long as I can remember. Its one of the reasons why I think nothing matters until we overhaul this roster and stock it like a fish pond. I’ve seen exactly one team have enough talent to maybe make a slight run and that was the 2014 roster.

2 Likes

I think Dan is getting both the heat and the accolades for the good and the bad. And he should in my opinion.

This is where is disagree. When a group has repeated mistakes it ultimately falls back on the HC for not finding a solution to rectify it.

I think the best HC’s allow there coaches to do their jobs but provide the necessary guidance to help them solve problems so that they do not repeat themselves. Ultimately it’s on Dan to find the solution.

Personally I do not think he’s a meathead. I have zero problem with his personality. I like his openness and find it refreshing. But I realize he’s not an x and o guy. He’s not going to revolutionize the sport or set any trends. He’s all about smash mouth football.

But his team is going to have to be well coached and mentally tough if he’s going to succeed.

Well I’d rather have Goff for another year then taking a QB you don’t really want, your right we’re stuck with this no matter what so I do hope you are right.

Goff is good enough for now.

Fix the rest of the roster as best you can and then evaluate Goff next year.

4 Likes

When all the dust is settled, that’s where we’re all landing, I think.

1 Like

IMO, it is clear Goff has no long term future here. Most people would agree that if Goff is not moved in 2022, that he will definitely be gone by 2023. If that is the case, why not cut/trade him this off-season? Take the cap hit while we are building, and fill his shoes with a cheaper alternative? That way come 2023 we don’t have cap dollars committed to him when we have a chance to actually be competitive. That 10mil we would save in 2023 cap space could be a high impact player. Just my two cents.

I fully understand that you cannot truly evaluate Goff with the cast he has. I think he has potential to come back and be serviceable in 2022. At the end of the day though you don’t pay a QB 30mil to be serviceable and you certainly don’t build around that guy. With where we are at in our rebuild I think we should cut ties and move on.

They committed to two years when they swung the deal. It was “baked into the cake” as the saying goes. I’m sure they expected a little bit more stability from him, but I think the picks still make it worth it, even with the 30 mil hit next year.

I listen to logic… that is not swayed by my emotions as emotions are not facts….

That’s presumptuous.

If Goff returns to Super Bowl form, he’ll be here through his contract and likely extended. If he gets back just to an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins level, the team still has options, and they may not cut him prior to the end of his deal if they elect to spend resources elsewhere.

What, precisely, would that be?

Going rate for new contracts for franchise quarterbacks is average $40MM+ per year. Journeymen don’t clock in much below what Goff currently makes. Prospects are expensive from a resource standpoint and have no guarantee of success, let alone success before you need to hand them a shiny new top-of-market contract. The quarterback position is expensive and hard-to-fill.

The reality is that the franchise needs Goff to return to form and pretty much has to give him the opportunity in 2022 to do so.

1 Like

Goff has literally shown nothing to even think getting back to a Alex Smith/Kirk Cousins level is even a possibility. He has made so many mental mistakes that even a rookie QB would be ashamed of. I just don’t see it.

IMO, guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Tyrod Taylor, Gardner Minshew, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Jacoby Brissett, and Mitchell Trubisky would all be better options for the many they would command until we find a permanent replacement. We would give them a realistic shot at starting and I don’t see a single one of them commanding more then 5-6mil a year tops (Bridgewater may be looking for close to 10mil). You also would not have to committ longer then a year. Cut/trade Goff, sign one of these guys and draft a rookie.

It’s not like we’re cutting him. Too much dead cap space. He’s our starter at least one more year.

1 Like

Don’t let @HSVLion read this! LOL

[quote=“Snags, post:37, topic:13017, full:true”]

I don’t think that’s a bad idea. I just think that any people that think Goff is somehow going to go back to his 2018 self without McVay are just foolish.

We’re safe there’s no OSU QB’s in this draft…. lol

He’s all about us taking Garrett Wilson, WR, Chris Olave, WR or Haskell Garrett, DL with our first 3 picks this year.

However he is all for us trading our 3rd rounder for Dwayne Haskins!

@HSVLion - Just messing with you and your OSU homerism….lol

Let me stop you there. Everyone on our defense sucked this past year. Every single player.

And if you want examples of my homerism, ask @CuriousHusker about my affinity for our linebackers last year.