Josh Reynolds, "We got a lot of weapons"

Ok, I’ll concede that.

2 Likes

It’s just that I think the confidence you have in your blind side as a QB makes a huge difference in the amount of time you have to see the field. Without that, you’re legitimately concerned about getting hit.

It’s the difference between being on defense v. being on offense. You want your QB to be focused significantly more on carving up than being clobbered.

MCDC is cut off the mic, what, 15 seconds before the play clock expires? At that point, it’s all Goff.

You have to teach your QB to rely on himself. MCDC did that. Maybe Lynn, and/or McVay didn’t do that as much.

2 Likes

I like it. get them on the field at the same time, just take out the LT or RT and put the 6th WR there. declare them an eligible receiver.

1 Like

How are we going to run the “All Left Tackle” offense if we are taking our left tackles out of the game?

2 Likes

Technically that won’t work. You have to have 7 players on the line of scrimmage for a legal formation, and only the guys on ends on each side could be receiver eligible. Meaning if you have a WR lined up to the left, he’s covering the guy to his right and that player cannot be an eligible receiver. In short, 5 of the 7 players lined up on the LOS are automatically ineligible.

1 Like

This idea about 6 WRs reminded of the Patriots putting 6 skilled position guys on the field against the Ravens in a 2015 playoff game. The Ravens mhad trouble identifying which of the 6 was the ineligible receiver because it was so unusual and the Patriots went hurry up. Then John Harbaugh whined about it after the game even though it was completely legal.

3 Likes

Smart.
Mitchell could possibly create depth and confusion as well. Dude has deceptive speed and deep ball threat. Definitely has a lot of wR to his game, as well as TE. He could play the role of the guy that stays back…or the “leaker/sneaker”

2 Likes

I think they would have been okay with the 6 eligible numbers being on the field. It was the second part that threw them off. They basically went with an unbalanced line so the guy that looked like the Left Tackle was actually eligible and what looked like a slot receiver split out wide to the right was actually the 2nd tackle (who was a RB).

The second part of the play is now illegal. You can have an eligible receiver number playing an offensive line position, but he has to be in the tackle box like a normal offensive lineman would be lined up.

That is illegal ONLY if the player that reported as ineligible is the guy who lined up in the slot.
I would be curious to see if an offense could still catch a defense off guard by having a TE report as ineligible, and then break quick from a huddle an have him line up as a OT… but then have another TE line up interior on the other side of the OL — only slightly off the LOS.

Ravens made use of this idea in 2018, but had a heavy run look out of it.
In the image below, the ineligible TE would be on right (red outline), and the eligible TE would be lined up like a LG (blue outline)

With this look on the O-line… a team could run 4 eligible WRs out wide.
The ineligible TE lined up at OT could actually run sideways after the snap acting like he was running a flat route (just can’t go downfield).

The TE lined up a OG could pause for a second like he is staying in to block… and BOOM!!.. middle TE screen.

still looks like 6 routes are run… and the quick huddle to to snap might catch a team off guard too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.