Justin Coleman

From Derrik Klassen, Football Outsiders:

Been running through Lions defense film for this week’s Film Room. Entire secondary is performing well, but Justin Coleman is playing out of his mind. Just completely vaporizing whoever he’s lined up against.

Me: This Coleman guy wasn’t so good in TC, but he’s lookin’ good now. Ditto Rashaan Melvin, even with a knee problem. According to what I’m reading, the Lions are allowing the least amount of separation to opposing receivers, and that’s good. But that’s about to get tested, isn’t it, with KC and then GB after that.

Same guy, different post (just for giggles):

Only a few games in, but Detroit’s defense also looks to be very well coached. I wrote in the Almanac that Patricia did some cool stuff last year, but didn’t have the dudes for it. Now he does and the difference is clear as day.

Me: Nice to hear. If this defense is for real then maybe this team is going places. Gotta stop gifting other teams with penalties and TOs though.

6 Likes

Yes, some novacaine to start the process. If Slay is limited, we’ll need the help.

I’m no expert by any means but I brought up Coleman on this board after week 1. From what I saw he was on top of WR’s he was covering. I was worried about TC reports so good to see him playing well

1 Like

DBs have been the strength of the defense or team thus far. Once the front 7 get on the same page, look out!

Give lots of credit to the DB coach, Brian Stewart.

BIO:

Brian Stewart joins the Lions coaching staff in 2018 with an extensive background on the defensive side of the football, primarily in the secondary. After spending eight consecutive years in the collegiate ranks (2010-17), Stewart re-enters the NFL in 2018 as the Lions defensive backs coach. Prior to Detroit, he most recently served as the defensive coordinator and interim head coach at Rice University in 2017. Stewart brings to Detroit nine seasons of NFL coaching experience and 27 years in the college and NFL coaching ranks combined.

Prior to Rice, Stewart coached at the University of Nebraska for two seasons (2015-16), working with the team’s defensive backs. He joined the Cornhuskers staff after spending three seasons at the University of Maryland (2012-14) where he served as the team’s defensive coordinator. In his three seasons at Maryland, Stewart’s defense tallied more than 30 sacks in two separate seasons, along with helping lead the Terrapins to a pair of bowl appearances. In Stewart’s first year at Maryland in 2012, his defense finished in the top three in the ACC in total defense (21st nationally), rushing defense and pass defense.

After working as a defensive assistant for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009, Stewart returned to the college ranks for the first time in eight years, after being named defensive coordinator at the University of Houston. During his tenure (2010-11), the Cougars finished with a 13-1 record and No. 14 ranking in 2011. Additionally, Houston ranked in the top 15 nationally in red zone scoring, interceptions, tackles for loss, takeaways and opponent completion percentage in 2011. In his second season with the Cougars, Stewart’s secondary featured cornerback, DJ Hayden, after Hayden joined the Cougars as a junior college transfer. In Hayden’s first season under Stewart, he was named Conference USA Defensive Newcomer of the Year before eventually being the 12th overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Prior to Houston, Stewart spent eight years in the NFL, including a two-year stint (2007-08) as the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator. During his time in Dallas, Stewart’s defense finished in the top 10 in fewest yards allowed in each of his two seasons, respectively, marked by a 13-3 record and NFC East divisional title in 2007. Stewart’s 2007 defense was highlighted by an NFL-best five defensive players named to the Pro Bowl that season. In eight previous NFL seasons, Stewart has helped 14 total players earn Pro Bowl appearances.

Stewart also served as the defensive backs coach with the San Diego Chargers (2004-06). He earned his start as an NFL coach when he served on the Houston Texans coaching staff in the team’s first two seasons as an expansion club (2002-03). He began his coaching career at Cal Poly where he coached wide receivers and running backs from 1992-93. His background as a collegiate coach also includes stints at Missouri (1999-2000), San Jose State (1997-98), Syracuse (2001) and Northern Arizona (1994-95).

A California native, Stewart played defensive back collegiately at Santa Monica City College and Northern Arizona.

Stewart graduated from Northern Arizona in 1995 with a degree in criminal justice. He and his wife, Kimberly, have three daughters, Leila, Mya and Zara.

STEWART’S COACHING BACKGROUND

Detroit Lions… 2018-

Defensive Backs … 2018-

Rice… 2017

Defensive Coordinator… 2017

Nebraska… 2015-16

Cornerbacks… 2016

Defensive Backs… 2015

Maryland… 2012-14

Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs… 2012-14

Houston… 2010-11

Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs… 2010-11

Philadelphia Eagles… 2009

Defensive Special Assistant… 2009

Dallas Cowboys… 2007-08

Defensive Coordinator… 2007-08

San Diego Chargers… 2004-06

Defensive Backs… 2004-06

Houston Texans… 2002-03

Defensive Backs Assistant… 2002-03

Syracuse… 2001

Defensive Backs Assistant… 2001

Missouri… 1999-2000

Defensive Backs… 1999-2000

San Jose State… 1997-98

Defensive Backs… 1997-98

Missouri… 1996

Graduate Assistant… 1996

Northern Arizona… 1994-95

Tight Ends/Special Teams… 1994-95

Cal Poly… 1992-93

Wide Receivers/Running Backs… 1992-93

2 Likes

Coleman has definately been bringing his A-game… if this keeps up, he’ll be in the pro bowl

Yes I love how everybody wants to rag on our gm for bringing in former Pats . Well this one has been really good so far.

That’s great news. Hope he stays healthy and keeps it up.

Coleman had a monster game against the Chiefs. He’s now tied for third in CB rankings according to PFF, and he has way more snaps than the two ahead of him. Right now PFF has Slay as our 4th ranked corner, but I doubt it will stay like that. When he gets going, watch out!

I think this defense is going to be really good if the DL ever gets healthy and plays to its potential. The secondary is doing pretty damn good, one reason why the other QB holds the ball for so long is because our coverages are so good.

He’s just an overpaid slot corner, like Golden Tate was just an overpaid slot receiver :crazy_face:

1 Like

best of the big FA signings up to this point. very solid value and key to the secondary

1 Like

Its amazing how many snaps our ‘slot’ corner plays!. I really miss Tate.Too bad there’s this thing called money.

You spelled PED’s wrong. :slight_smile:

The only way he could have had a better game was finishing that pick in the end zone which would have iced the game

1 Like

I love when people bash Patricia and call him names and a moron and then realize that he actually knows what he is doing…you can actually see the scheme and the “Coaching up” on the field. Sure he makes mistakes but he is learning what it means to be a head coach and not just a DC.

2 Likes

I recall few weeks ago some posters bashing him an the GM an over paying based on preseason Some of us said wait till games count But the negative posters who are anti the GM can’t wait its bash an bash

2 Likes

Lol, funny how that works huh?

I really don’t blame the national media for their bias against Detroit. I don’t believe it costs us games and they have no emotional tie to the team or players…BUT…when they go out of their way and say the Lions will win 3-4-5-6 games that’s when I get annoyed because clearly this team has more cohesive talent on it then a 5-6 win football team.

So far, a very good signing. But he wasn’t cheap. Value-wise, one could argue Melvin was the better signing. Either way, I sure do NOT miss Lawson!

Melvin may be the better value but if you put a bunch of Melvin’s back there it won’t work. Coleman makes the entire DB group better. To me, so far, Coleman has delivered value despite the $$

2 Likes

Right, I don’t disagree. I’m glad we picked both of them up… a “bunch of Melvins”…LOL.

1 Like