Justin Rogers: Lions 2024 draft preview: Even after Reader addition, early-round DT would make sense

Lions 2024 draft preview: Even after Reader addition, early-round DT would make sense
Full article at the link.

:arrow_forward: Current roster: Alim McNeill, DJ Reader, Levi Onwuzurike, Brodric Martin, Chris Smith

:arrow_forward: Short-term need: Five out of 10

:arrow_forward: Long-term need: Eight out of 10

:arrow_forward: Top prospects: Byron Murphy, Johnny Newton

:arrow_forward: Day 2 options: Ruke Orhorhoro, Kris Jenkins, Braden Fiske, T’Vondre Sweat

:arrow_forward: Late-round considerations: DeWayne Carter, Fabien Lovett, Khristian Boyd, Jordan Jefferson

:arrow_forward: Analysis: On paper, the interior of Detroit’s defensive line looks better than any point since the departure of Ndamukong Suh nearly a decade ago, with optimism rooted in the projected starting tandem of McNeill and Reader.

McNeill, a third-round pick in 2021, carved out an immediate defensive role as a rookie and has steadily developed into a quality 3-technique after the team shifted him to that spot during his second season. A transformation of his body and mindset heading into the 2023 season resulted in a breakout campaign as a pass-rusher. He finished with 5.0 sacks and 43 quarterback pressures in 13 games, both easily career-highs.

Lacking complementary impact from Isaiah Buggs and Benito Jones, the Lions invested heavily in an upgrade via free agency. They signed Reader, a premier run-stuffing nose tackle, to a two-year deal worth $22 million. And while his ability to clog lanes headlines the resume, his pass-rushing prowess shouldn’t be ignored. The 6-foot-3, 335-pounder might only have 9.5 sacks across eight seasons, but his pocket-crushing ability has generated at least 32 quarterback pressures each of the last three seasons and four of the past five.

Where things start getting shaky is Detroit’s depth. It was a pleasant surprise to see Onwuzurike, a former second-round pick, make it through a full season healthy after two years of back troubles, but he only saw 132 defensive snaps. He went into this offseason confident he’ll be ready for a bigger workload in 2024, but no one really knows how much can be put on his plate.

Similarly, Martin is a question mark, but not because of injury. A third-round selection a year ago, the massive, 6-foot-5, 330-pounder out of Western Kentucky was labeled as a developmental project from the start. And that’s how things played out as he was a healthy scratch most of his rookie year, seeing action in just three games. Ideally, he takes a significant step forward in his second season, but it might be foolhardy to bank on those contributions just yet.

1 Like

I still wonder why they let Quinton Bohanna go.

1 Like

Because they figured out he was just a more experienced version of what we currently have in Broderic Martin.

The Mike Hall visit I talked about in another thread, but that surprises me.

I feel like Johnny Newton is going to be a player we really like.

1 Like

I agree with this TBH. IMO, the most important thing to a DL is inside. I love the Reader signing which instantly should make this team even better at stopping the run. Which i love. But he’s short term. Alim had a great season statistically, but I don’t think he’s a great player. He wasn’t even noticed when he missed games. Grabbing a great DT early is a good idea.

I have my eyes on Brodric Martin. This is a very important draft pick. BH basically traded away everything to get him in the 3rd. Considering there was some great players available later. I think of Puka Nacua who was drafted in the 5th round. I understand it’s not likely you find great players that late, but BH has. And you can never give up picks like that. So, Brodric Martin needs to be special.

They need another 3t, some competition for Levi.

1 Like

Yup! DL second only to OL. Build it up. Part of our identity.

I can see them taking more guys like this, as our roster comes into critical mass This season.

After this season, it will be about developing talent & maintaining the approximate level of talent we have. There will be some flux with cap casualties, hitting of FA & draft picks, but after this season, it’ll be a perennial contender that morphs some.

IMO, we have a pretty good idea of what the offense will approximately look like.
Our defense won’t fully reveal themselves until mid season.

1 Like

They’re reaching (or reached) that level elite team status. A lot of what you said is now the transition of going from a bad team with high draft picks to now building, and maintaining a good roster as an elite team. It’s tough. Great teams are strapped for cash, and they have to lose good players while paying their top guys. We lost Jonah. We’ll probably lose Decker soon. I’ve never seen this before. It’s both exciting, and scary.

I agree 100% OL 1st, and DL 2nd. Especially where they’re drafting now (and most likely for the future). It’s always great value drafting OL, or DL late. And yes, we’ll probably see more picks like that. They’re all about development, and have been fantastic with it. It’ll be even more now. Great post!

Thank you, buddy.

I a with ya - We’ll get better from within, cuz we’re SO young, but as far as acquiring talent, I think you are right …we’re there. Our starters are very good. Holmes has executed to near perfection with the draft, and as long as that continues, we have been so good at developing players, I think we have a 15 year window.

I think Goff will look better than ever as a leader and as a player.

This may sound too “hoodoo-voodoo” to many, but those “Jared Goff” chants helped our team a ton. Goff is evolving and feeling embraced (different than being embraced) by the city, teammates, coaches, etc. I love how Campbell has instilled a bit of a “■■■■ you” attitude in them. Detroit is gonna be a nasty stadium for any team to have to come into for quite awhile. Last year, we had far more chinks in the armor.

This year, especially after mid season (development, growth, cohesion of certain units), we will be somewhere between “the favorite” and an absolute juggernaut.

NFC title game → Lions vs SF again…Lions have a 70% chance of winning this game
AFC title game → Ravens vs Bills… Ravens 65% of winning this game

SB Lions vs Ravens in the most physically played SB we’ve seen in a looooooooong time. Payback time, MF’rz! Lions by 10

Right. I get bashed to death around here for my criticisms of Jared Goff, but it doesn’t mean I hate the guy. I fully support him. I just want him to be great. What makes Jared Goff good is he’s become stitched into this culture DC, and BH created. He’s part of this family that was created. Comradery between coaches, and players is huge. Continuity is huge. Chemistry is huge. Working with the same group of players, and coaches is huge. It all matters, and DC/BH know it. That’s the beauty of what they built. So while I can be really tough on Goff, he’s our guy. And yes, those chants helped this team a lot.

There’s nothing I can add that you didn’t say yourself perfectly. As long as they continue doing what they’re doing. BH, and DC continue to preach that they will never change what they do.

And the fact that they are drafting so well, and with the cap always going up, as long as they continue to draft well, develop well, and not over spend in free agency, then they will always be able to keep their main guys.

It’s like, i can’t imagine this team without Sewell, ARSB, believe it or not Jared Goff and so many others. I want all our guys to retire as Lions.

Yup - love what you say here & agree 100%.

…this is an area where we are eventually going to experience some pain. We’re gonna be losing some guys whose jersey we have purchased…I’m hoping they can package players & picks to move up, so we are not losing them for nothing (& so we’re not picking 32 every year).

I also love getting value for guys like BroMart, who will develop, & not get expensive immediately → may save a ton on that 2nd contract?

Some of this stuff is absolutely strategic…right down to getting value on injured and/or developmental guys that don’t immediately bust the cap.

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1779842860004589655

Yup, unfortunately with big contracts to Goff, ARSB, Sewell, Hutch (in the near future) we will eventually lose some of our favorite players. But as long as they don’t spend big on free agency, continue to draft well, time these contracts, they should be able to keep most of their guys. For instance, someone might be signed for 2-3 years. By the time that’s up, that money is coming back for one of their core guys. I think the guys we lose will be those mid-rangers. Like Jonah, maybe Alim, maybe Kerby, players like that.

But, the cap can also be handled well. How the heck do the 49’ers keep signing, re-signing, and trading for everyone?!

It’s definitely something no one here is used to. But it’s exciting.

…& J-Moss, Gibby…I’m scared already.

Yup!