Keeping an eye on cuts

With so many teams up against the cap, there is sure to be some good talent coming available. I’d like to see the Lions look to add a DT, LB, RG/C and CB

LB - Panthers Shaq Thompson
DT - Seahawks Shelby Harris
CB - Broncos Ronald Darby
RG - Broncos Graham Glass cow

Then draft Gonzales/Witherspoon and Bijan in the first

7 Likes

The thing is, these are guys with larger contracts than their current team is willing to pay.
That’s SOL thinking.

4 Likes

We’re going to have some space though. And these are productive players with some years left. Holmes did imply it was time to acquire players. And I assume he didn’t mean exclusively through the draft process

2 Likes

A crazy cut that supposedly is going to happen is Keenan Allen. Not bringing him up because I think he’s a fit, just saying that’s wild. I personally would cut Mack before a guy like Keenan. Especially picking at 21 with a loaded EDGE class.

1 Like

Oh, yeah. I expect to fill a couple holes in FA, but, I wouldn’t expect to buy anyone’s farm. That hasn’t been Holmes style, and I doubt he starts, now.
We’ll have a better idea when we see which of our vets they re-sign. Speaking of which, I wish they would get on with it!

7 Likes

We might see Woods cut too. I bet Goff would love another familiar face in the huddle

How weird would it be to end up with both Reynolds and Woods from LA to Tennessee to Detroit

Woods is on the Titans.

1 Like

Yep. I was just in the process of correcting that when you pointed it out

1 Like

It’s the first day of the official NFL 2023/2024 season. I think we can cut them a little slack lol. Not to mention if some of the players want to test free agency which is in mid-March.

1 Like

I’d much rather sign on the cut players instead of the UFAs just to keep any comp picks we might get from Chark or the others that might leave.

1 Like

Dalvin Cook is another guy who might get cut.

Never give a RB a 2nd contract.

1 Like

That’s a really good point. Restructuring Decker, and cutting Vaitai and Brockers gets us around 30 million in cap space. I know it’s controversial here, but if we were to extend and restructure Goff that frees up another 13 million. With no damage done to cap space the next couple years

If we sign cut players and let some of our guys walk we could see some nice draft comps coming our way

2 Likes

Woods has been injured and unproductive the last 2 years. Allen when healthy, has been Herbert’s favorite target and one of the most productive WRs in the league.

Woods could probably be had pretty cheap though.

3 Likes

I think Graham Glasgow would definitely be interesting. I’m sure he would love to come back and he wouldn’t cost a whole lot. 2 years, 10mil would probably be a reasonable ballpark.

3 Likes

If that’s all it would cost, i would jump on that. I don’t love the idea of paying guards. Especially in our position with two high caliber tackles and a center. The guard position should be players like this or rookie contract players imo.

3 Likes

There is always a few surprising cuts in spring and right after camp.

Would love to see us add a few key pieces if price is right

1 Like

Dalvin is actually an outlier, he’s been very good since signing his 2nd contract. He’s now on a run of 4 straight 1000 yard seasons and 4 straight pro bowls.

2 Likes

I bet Smith Njigba is there at #21 or Flowers

1 Like

My only truth here is that I simply don’t see, in any way, Holmes overpaying anyone….

3 Likes

If I remember right, he was not a road grader, but moved pretty well in space. Which might work now.

EDIT:
Just looked him up. His PFF score was 59 - 27th rated center in the league. looks like they switched him from guard. not sure he’d be an improvement for our OL.

1 Like