Kristian Fulton to Chargers

I think that’s it when one of each coming from the draft and from free agency yet and likely the free agency side will be starter or strong rotation guys

I think it’s because despite being listed at 6’ (even on the Lions website), this is what he measured in at during the Hula Bowl:

Why the discrepancy? I don’t know. But that’s a tiny CB for an outside guy.

2 Likes

So he grew 3 inches after we signed him…lol

What about a guy like Adrian Amos as a backup S? Still scoring well in PFF, tons of experience, 30 years old, plays ST, looks like he still plays tons of in box and up high snaps. Could be a good cheap depth piece.

Admittingly, I don’t know if some of these options are the football lovers we aim for.

Plus for that type of guy, we can probably wait until the window where they count against the comp pick formula closes. Not that it matters much for this year, but until we see what happens with Reynolds, Harris and Harris, it’s probably smart to keep our options open.

1 Like

When does the comp window close?

I don’t think that’s good enough IMO. I know you like Amik but I still contend that he’s more of a rotational piece than a starter and they don’t have much experience at safety.

I know there’s a lot of recency bias with Sutton because he struggled in the second half as the #1 guy but that’s a big hole that hasn’t been filled, he’s been a reasonably high level corner his entire career and the Lions don’t have an adequate replacement right now. I’d rather them not shoehorn themselves into taking a corner with a high pick so Holmes will need to find some sort of solution, at the very least somebody that can push Amik.

Last year it was the Monday after the draft. Seems like that’s pretty consistent over the past five years or so

1 Like

It’s never good enough, imo, but it’s better than last year by quite a bit. That was the point I was making.

But to me no position group is ever good enough, there could always be improvement in say a Madden type environment. But the realities of the cap and draft are such that they don’t allow for it.

I know we need to add to the room, I just don’t think we’ll allocate a ton of resources to it. Some cheap signings and/or late draft picks/UDFA will be in the mix, most likely.

Then again I also wouldn’t be shocked if Brad went CB in the 1st/2nd AND the 3rd. He’s been known to double up if he falls in love.

If last year taught me anything, it’s that Brad Holmes will do whatever the ■■■■ Brad Holmes wants regardless of what anything thinks :joy:

1 Like

Starting to get concerned that Brad has a struggle with assessing/supporting the CB position. We will see what the draft brings but I’m still worried the current staff isn’t much better than last year’s.

Plus, depth is still awful. One injury and Vildor sees the field is the exact situation we do not want next year.

He’s had some shit luck. If he was able to pull off last year’s plan, we’d be sitting pretty. Sometimes you have to pivot, and I agree with him doing just that last year (I mean he crushed the draft).

2 Likes

I’m never going to be upset the pivot resulted in LaPorta and Branch.

1 Like

I agree that it’s a concern currently but you can’t blame Brad for Sutton being a criminal. With Sutton, it was a much improved group from last season. Without him, there’s more question marks now.

They really need a vet safety too. Kirby is very inconsistent, Branch is young and Iffy has a tiny sample size of success. The safety market is flooded with solid options, he needs to get one.

1 Like

Agreed on some accounts. Moseley was coming off an ACL and injured another. Not Brad’s fault.

They did, however, stick with Jacobs (who was showing he didn’t have the skills to handle the job). Will Harris isn’t viable at all at the position yet he stayed again. Vildor was brought in for depth and we all know how that turned out.

I’m not placing the entirety of the blame for Sutton’s poor play on Brad, though. He brought in Sutton as the #2 to play with Moseley. Once Moseley went down nobody had the talent for #1 and Sutton got put in the spot and it didn’t go well at all.

It’s just concerning is all. Holmes is a fantastic executive and I’m so glad he’s the Lions GM. I just think he struggles evaluating that position.

I really don’t think we have nearly enough info to say he struggles evaluating the position.

Moseley, we haven’t seen play. Sutton, as you said, was meant to be a #2. Vildor was a scrap heap pick up which imo he should get points for, rather than it counting against him. The guy wasn’t great, but what do you expect for a pickup that late in the year? Honestly he exceeded my expectations, even though I agree that he’s not very good.

He hasn’t drafted any with a high value pick, though by all accounts he was in love with Witherspoon last year.

I just think the sample size is waaaaaay to small to say one way or the other.

1 Like