Let’s talk QB…

Was looking through the teams that need QB’s and where they draft. Most think Willis and Pickett are the only two that go in round 1. Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Seattle are probably the most likely teams looking for one. What was interesting to me was that after the Steelers pick at #20, there isn’t a team taking a QB from 21-31 until the Lions (perhaps TB looks for a Brady replacement). Starting to think unless a team moves up for a QB (most likely) there will be some choices at pick 32 for the Lions. We brought in Kenny Pickett, wonder if they would pull the trigger there. I would hate it but we will see.

If the Lions could pick up a 1st Rd pick in 2023, plus a 2d Rd pick in 2022, for No. 32 overall, that would be the ideal. And, if a QB is there that someone wants for that 5th year option, it could happen.

Don’t see that kind of price being paid for any other position.

1 Like

Realistically, I think the 5th year option is wasted if you’re taking a QB or a WR. If the player is any good, they are going to demand a new deal. If they suck, the team isn’t going to exercise the option, making it worthless. So with those two particular positions, to make that 5th year option worth it to cash in on, you’re basically hoping to draft someone who is mediocre enough to keep around, but not good enough to renegotiate their deal.

Does that sound like someone you want to target with a first round pick? Not me. All things being equal, I’d rather choose a lower leverage position where I can exercise that 5th year option and still have a high performing player.

In fact, if I was looking at a QB or WR that dropped into my lap at 32, I’d be on the phone with Jacksonville to work out a deal to go from 34 to 33, make those picks back to back, and take the QB or WR at 33 on a four year deal, because your going to know one way or the other which way you’re going on that player long before the end of the contract becomes an issue.

1 Like

If a team has a semi-established starting QB and wants the draftee to sit for a year or two, then that extra year gives them more time to evaluate the player who (unlike most other positions), may not see the field at all–i.e. they don’t play special teams, aren’t likely to see spot duty, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.