Let's review just how bad our 2019 draft class was

Lets not> :rofl:

I was speaking as a whole. I think if you do the deep dive on every draft pick, it’s a game of hits and misses and Quinn had a lot of hits. He just picked the wrong HC and wasted a year keeping Caldwell. If I wanted to draft a 3rd round Olineman. Bob Quinn is who I’d call.

1 Like

To be fair GG was solid and dependable… but he was not above average at anything other than availability while here. The debate to keep him was real and no one wanted to pay what he got when he left. He got an average player for 4 years. Quinn didnt hit it out of the park or anything.

Warford was good for a while but then was up and down with injuries here. Many didnt want to pay him either do to inconsistency… he went on to have a better career after he left here. He was a great pick but he was expected to go much higher so it wasnt like he discovered a gem with that pick either.

Also the positional value of iOL is increasing faster than most other positions. So expect less of them to be found in later rounds. Those who fall will take a couple seasons to become nfl ready

The issue alot of us had…some of which is hindsight…is that Quinn took the Glasgow money and gave it to Vatai. So Denver got a full time starter in Glasgow, but we got a guy who only started 4 games over the last 2 seasons before coming to the Lions.

Warford is a good example of how Lions fans appreciate players more when they are not in Detroit. The organization has approached things like that as well. In our history it is very rare that we resign a guy like Warford to stay with the Lions but we have regularly gone into free agency and brought in guys like Warford to come to the team.

One interesting thing going on with iOL is that they are almost tag proof. This is because the tag is based on LT salaries. So unless you are going to pay a OG like he is one of the top LT’s in the league, you don’t have the leverage of the franchise tag on your side.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.