Let's talk about Alim McNeil

Not true

1 Like

I don’t know what to say. 24 years old…

You got it

Dan will do whats right…I know that

sign him today to a 5 year deal. then he won’t want what we sign Wilkins for tomorrow.

Be pissed he got less, or be grateful we will dominate DL ???

I’m willing to gamble Alim is going to bet on himself. With the Madabuike and Chris Jones deals (and an incoming Christian Wilkins contract). Alim has to be dreaming big if he can have a great season.

If Holmes is offering 15mil APY, Alim has to be thinking he can get 20mil+ next offseason.

1 Like

Agreed. If they want to do two this year and two next year, I’d do Ra and Alim this year, for somewhat different reasons. Ra because its just the right thing to do and Alim because he’s only scratched the surface and will get more expensive next year if he keeps on his trajectory.

Yes, but five is almost unheard of. Four would be great, but Alim would be wise to be renegoiating as a 26 year old ater three years. Four would be a home run for us.

2 Likes

Could be right. He had 6 sacks in 16 games last year. That includes the playoffs. He missed 4 regular season games due to the knee injury.

Let’s say he has 8 sacks next year… how much does a DT with back to back 6 and 8 sack seasons get in free agency!? It’s a shit ton. Betting on himself could work.

2 Likes

Did you read the OP? If not, here it is:

So, yeah, he was middle of the road as a rookie. Which is really good.

1 Like

He missed five regular season games. And played 429 snaps on passing downs. And his first responsibility is probably gap control. Like I said above, if we don’t sign him now and he plays a full season unhurt, and he plays with a true run stopper space-eater he could have ten sacks. And alot more pressures. It will get Chris Jones type expensive. Sign him.

2 Likes

Yep I’d try to get it done now. He’s still only 23 years old. I expect him to be even better next year. Just starting to enter his prime

2 Likes

I’d want to add Sewell this year too. An extension for all 3 young guys who are foundational pieces gives them security at a slight discount for the Lions. If they avoid serious injury, they’ll cash in a second time too. It makes too much sense–at least from this old ■■■■’s perspective–for both sides to not find the right price now.

The problem I have give McNeil a big deal is he is sub 6’2” he does have a decent wingspan and arm length. But he is not a monster like 6’6” Chris Jones. Even if he was 6’4” with his same arm length and wingspan you would see a lot more batted balls. More getting his body into guards and pushing the pocket.

I like him but again he is not worth a top 10 DT contract imo.

Top 10 may be pushing it…However, Kancey and Brian Bresee just got drafted round 1…

And theyre pushing Jonny Newton and Fiske. …both undersized and short arms…

So…you tell me…

Point taken - he does not have alot of batted balls, and he did not have many tackles either. @DeadStroke’s suggestion of 3 years 45M, 50% guaranteed sounds like a nice deal for us. I don’t think he’d sign for that though. If its three years, I’m thinking we may need to go to 50M, and maybe 60% guranteeed. I don’t know where that stands among other DT’s, but its probably top eight-ish I would guess. Given his young age, I’d be happy with that.

1 Like

That would be fine, but I don’t think its urgent. We have the fifth year on Penei and it’s a generous amount. If there’s so many hours in a day for Disner, I’d get Sewell’s contract done third of the four mentioned. With Ra #1 because its criminal how underpaid he is, and Alim number two because he hasn’t hit his ceiling.

1 Like

He’s absolutely an important player on the team. Cornerstone? Not in the Sewell, Hutch, St Brown sense, no. But he’s the best DL player not named Hutchinson. Sign him but don’t break the bank.

4 Likes

They are the top 3 for sure.

I think he’s in the next tier with the four rooks from last year. So, yes, calling him a cornerstone may be a bit of a stretch.

If Ragnow wasn’t hurt, Frank would be ahead of him too, but I think we only have Ragnow for one more year unfortunately.

Point is, you need to re-sign these players and pay them market value.

1 Like

Are the people on this board way overvaluing our players or am I just ignorant/a hater? :thinking::thinking:

How much does McNeil make up for the wiff of the DT they took a round earlier? Levi has been such a disappointment, Alim has been stellar and keeps improving. But, he’s not worth a huge contract IMO… I don’t give him more than $12 million/year

Yeah, I typed that before seeing what Chris Jones got.
And, you left off the premise to this statement, which was:

after looking at his trajectory, which was/is:

So what I was saying, was what kind of $$ could he ask for after a 2024 season, which if he continues his pace, would put him as the top 1 or 2 DT’s in the league. Maybe its not exactly what Chris Jones just got as a 29 year old but as a 24 year old, it may not be too far off. Right now its way less than that mega-contract, but it may not be way-less if we wait.

You kind of twisted the point to make a misleading statement about over-valuing our players.

1 Like

FWIW, Jeff Risdon quotes our new hotshot DL coach Terrell Williams as twice saying he can’t wait to get his hands on Levi Onwuzurike. He thinks he can squeeze a whole lot more out of him than we saw last year.

2 Likes