Let's talk about Alim McNeil

Alim unquestionably had his best year and is a cornerstone of the team. He came to camp leaner and hungrier. Even while hurt a few weeks he played a very respectable 682 snaps

His overall grade from PFF was in the 80’s, for the 7th best interior defender. Run/pass breakdowns show he was also 7th against the run, and 15th for pass rushing. He had 6 sacks (I was surprised) and 30 pressures. Overall he was better than some big names like Wilkins, Vita Vea and Madubuike. He is still ONLY 23 YEARS OLD! His trajectory has been exactly what you want to see:
2021: 54th out os 108 - an average starting DT as a rookie
2022: 33rd out of 127 - an above average/very good DT as a sophomore
2023: 7th out of 130 - excellent, knocking on the door for pro bowl.

While I’m not sure if he’s a 3T or a NT, I’ll let people smarter than me figure that out. His run stop grade is better than his pass rush grade, but how many DT’s have 6+ sacks?

There was an article on Lionswire about what an extension would look like, pasted below. To summarize, it’s looking like four years at 17M/year is the ball park, they didn’t give a guarantee% for a four year contract. Our in-house expert, @DeadStroke says this:

I think we HAVE to sign McNeil to an extension this year. Imagine if e continues to elevate his game and what he might cost if we don’t extend him, he might ask for Chris Jones-type money. When we think of saving money with a Goff extension now, there may be an even better case for extending Alim now.

I would take the contract @DeadStroke projects in a hot minute.

One last tidbit on Alim. The Eagles had him targetted two picks after us in the third round. Rosemann was picking before us and moved in back of us, because he tried to be the smahtest man in the room-- thinking we wouldn’t go DT since we already had picked Levi. People in the Eagles draft room were visibly upset. This was the first hint that we had a bandit on our side.

Thought on Alim? Is he a cornerstone (duh), should we extend him now, does he need a partner 3T or NT, is he someone you break the bank for?

4 Likes

How much of the pass rush grade was from holding him back and being a “contain” rusher?"

We (the Lions) put a very strong emphasis on stopping the run and then rushing the passer.

And we led the NFL in run defense…so?

Let Alim be unleashed? Well…he can dot it. Unreal talent he has…but we wont do that with him because we csre about being s good defense and not catering to one player like Justin Jefferson

Justin Jefferson turned from a good guy into an Odell Beckham real fast…agent in his ear…yet…my opinion…he isnt that good…he isnt Calvin Johnson…so…

Alim is a 3T.

I was thinking the same thing. Although almost two thirds of his snaps came on passing downs. Of course, why would a team not pass against us.

I agree that this speaks to the fact that he is an ultimate team player - accepts his role willingly.

1 Like

Where did we finish against the run?

They held him back in my opinion.

Maybe I am wrong?

But if they unleashed him like Aaron Donald?

What do you think ?

We need a strong Nose Tackle for that.

Grover Stewart?

DJ Reader?

Tvondre Sweat?

1 Like

I agree that:
We put an emphasis on stopping the run, and it may have been to the detriment of pass rush and definitely was a detriment towards pass coverage. So, Alim may be a better pass rusher than we think. 15th in the league with 6 sacks is not shabby.
If you’re asking whether we should just simply “unleash him”… well, we got the the NFC championship game with the strategy we employed, so I’d hesitate to give an emphatic yes.
Maybe we could unleash him, but lets extend him first! I’d hate to be talking contract extension for a DT who just recorded 10 sacks!

1 Like

He is a 3T…

I don’t know him…

Havent talked to him.

I dont know.

Dan will know.

Yeah he’s probably 75% 3T but I think there may be some NT in him on his father’s side.

1 Like

Whatever Dan Campbell wants to do…im for it.

Dan Campbell is my favorite human I have ever witnessed.

Ever.

Dan Campbell?

My Guy

Just as I fantasize about Maxx Crosby across from Hutch, I also fantasize about Vita Vea across from Alim. But yeah I hear you, any of these guys would really elevate our DL. Alim is as old as some people entering the draft this year.

Here’s the thing I know about Alim, he is a must sign! I want a 4-5 year deal, the longer the better. As someone said above, how much is he going to cost moving forward, NOW is the time.
Alim is just now entering his man strength years, he has quick feet, he’s strong and athletic. Get this guy locked down.
Barring injury, Alim will be a major part of our annual pro bowlers. I put his importance to the team in the category of Hutch, Sewell, ARSB. If you don’t see this now, you will moving forward. ALIM is only 23 years old!!! Most IDL best years are between 24-29 years old. Lock him down!

2 Likes

Alim is 23 and isn’t a NT…so…

Alim is just getting started…

1 Like

I look at it as…

Alim won’t let us down.

Do we need some depth? Sure.

Every playoff team has strong depth

But Alim wont let us down.

He wont.

2 Likes

If you Alim, you probably only do a 3 year deal. Gets you paid now and also gives you a chance to hit FA again in your prime.

1 Like

Correct in my opinion.

The best part is he will give full effort, regardless of that fact…

True football player.

We dont settle for anything less, so…

Its why Dan Campbell…love him…

Humanity would he lucky to have Dan Campbell…and he is our HC/LEADER… …

You tell me…

Unbelievable human…Dan Campbell…Unbelievable…

Alim is a foundational piece for the defense. Hutch, Alim and likely Jack Campbell. Our safeties are replaceable but I do like Iffy and Joseph. Young guys.

There is a reason the 2023 Lions won our division: we were more talented but still also young.

The core is now complete. These guys need extensions now or next season:
Goff, Sewell, Alim, Amon Ra.

Past that Hutch is a foundational piece too.

Holmes has additional questions about guys like Decker, Ragnow (when might Frank retire), Glasgow (free agent now) but the young foundational pieces are in place now. We have a great core around these foundational pieces that will carry the franchise. Now we need to lock down the foundational pieces, keep what core pieces we can and grow the footprint.

Alim is a GREAT player to have here. A total stud who has yet to hit his ceiling. No way he is leaving at this point. I think his 2024 ends up better than 2023 and he was excellent in 2023.

3 Likes

:100: Ageed, but if I’m Brad, I fight for 4-5 years. Think how much Alim will bring in 3 years if he remains injury free! Heck, we can back load the last 2 years of his contract, it may look foolish now, but in 28/29 it may look like a bargain for us.
Alim and his agent must be drooling at the contrack KC just gave Jones.

1 Like

He wont. He knows the system and the machine

Won’t happen.

Brad respects the machine

He has too.

The Machine is Daddy

You’ll see

When Alim McNeil was out how much did we miss him?

Is he a game changer in the middle like a Christian Wilkinson? I don’t think he is.

He is a middle of the row DT.

On most lines he is the 3rd best pass rusher. He is a very good run defender. He has gotten better in pass rush.

If you resign him it can’t break the bank.

A lot…

Are you serious…look at the pass rush numbers with him and without…

You serious?

1 Like

Reason I am asking the question? I didn’t pull up the stats.

I know he was missed. Didn’t realize the numbers were that vast amount different.

He is still not a top tier DT. There are 10-12 other DT I would rather have if contracts were no issue. On a 1/3-1/2 of teams he is #2 DT not number 1.