Let's talk about JERSEY NUMBERS!

Some teams issue numbers almost immediately while the Lions are one of the teams that wait a while to start handing out numbers. I think we all assume Jamo put in for a number change to #1 and will pay whatever the cost is (I’m sure its high). If he doesn’t change, that will definitely be Gibby because that’s the number Gibbs has had since high school.

I am working under the impression that 7, 20, 22, 37 and 56 are retired. It seems like 85 and 88 have been back in circulation for a little while. So here is what looks like open numbers for the moment (feel free to add or correct me):

1 ??? - This will be Gibbs or Jamo
9 ??? - If Jamo switches this number becomes available
15 - I am listing this because it is WR Maurice Alexander’s number that might become available
19 - I am listing this because it is WR Trinity Benson’s number that might become available
23 - I am listing this because it is CB Mac McCain’s number that might become available
24 - We didn’t retire this for Shawn Bryson
25 - I am only listing this because I wish it were available
27 - We didn’t retire this for Jimmy Wyrick
28 - I am listing this because it is RB Jermar Jefferson’s number that might become available
32 - I wonder if David Montgomery will make the switch?
41 - This is Alvin Kamara’s number
61 thru 64
84 - I am listing this because it is Sam Laporta’s college number and Shane Zylstra has it

Some notes:

RB Gibbs - Always #1 including high school (briefly wore #21 at GT before #1 opened up)
LB Campbell - Was #31 in college, #46 in high school and #44 for HS basketball
TE LaPorta - Was #84 in college, #1 in high school and #11 for HS basketball
DB Branch - Always #14 including high school
QB Hooker - #5 at Tennessee, #2 at Va Tech and #1 in high school
DT Martin - Wore #99 in college, I can’t tell what his HS number was
OT Sorsdal - Wore #65 in college
WR Green - Wore #3 in college, #83 at an all-star game and #1 in high school

1 Like

I thought about the Jamo vs Gibbs for #1 right after Jah was drafted… My guess is Jamo gets it bc he’s the “vet” but we’ll see. Interesting that no number is available to match the college number of any of their rookies.

1 Like

I wonder if part of the punishment for the gambling suspension might be that the Lions refuse Jamo moving to 1, giving a “focus on football” message.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re going to “discipline” him like that, it’s disrespectful to the player and that’s not what the organization is about. Like Holmes said in his post draft presser, they’ve had honest discussions with him, he knows he made a mistake and they’re moving forward. Maybe him and Gibbs can race for it!!

4 Likes

[quote=“Slay, post:3, topic:23484, full:true”]

I wonder if part of the punishment for the gambling suspension might be that the Lions refuse Jamo moving to 1, giving a “focus on football” message.

Screwed up the edit: my repsonse starts here

While I understand that reason and it makes sense in many ways.
I might go the opposite route, as denying him the number may just not put his head right to begin the spring and summer camps.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually prefer your point just not sure what to do with this kid and think there are other ways to show tough love to him than denying this to him.

2 Likes

Yup - Not worried about JaMoss.
Still HATE the mistake he made …& even more hate the SIX game suspension.

1 Like

Fans don’t realize that these are kids and always overreact when they make bad decisions… I’m still living with some bad decisions from when I was his age… One of those mistakes is now 15 years old, the light of my world and I couldn’t be more pleased with how things turned out as a result of that “mistake” lol. Point being, kids screw up, if they’re good kids then they’ll own it, learn from it, and be better because of it.

2 Likes

Now I would love to see a race between Gibbs and Jamo for #1! That’s an inside the den segment.

I’d put $5 on Jamo to win :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I think that’s how it would work too. I can’t wait for the season to start, but OMG…week 7!!!

1 Like

Week 7 is gonna be :fire::fire::fire:

This is a very fair point, discipline with these guys is a very tricky thing, but my thinking is along the lines of who deserves it? The rookie coming in with a clean slate, or the one-year veteran who has a pretty significant blemish on his record, other minor indiscretions and delivered nothing in year 1? Rewarding Jamo with what amounts to a privilege when he’s hurt the team doesn’t sit well with me. You don’t buy your kid an ice cream when he’s been playing up all day.

Love the idea of them racing for it though!

2 Likes

Yup - the guy was a teenager like 8 minutes ago. Still → accountability is a thing. I have coached men younger than him & I was very hard on them. (oops …just said “hard on”)

2 Likes

Jamo being an veteran creates a disadvantage for him. He can’t just pick a number, he has to file a number change with the league and pay the cost for all of his jersey’s currently in stock. For Dalvin Cook to change to his college #4 would have cost him $1.5M. I believe Tee Higgins said his bill was $300k.

3 Likes

I bet the staff stays out of it and let the players decide who gets it… Seems like the smartest way to settle it and no one can get butt hurt if they lose.

1 Like

Not to mention, he’s already changed it once

2 Likes

really is a strange scenario because they both care so much about it.

1 Like

Hooker should be #1

I’m fascinated to watch his growth & what that looks like.

I mean come on who doesn’t want the #1 Hooker on their team.

If Gibbs stays healthy, he’ll actually have more games under his belt than Jameson when he comes off of suspension.

So who’s the vet now?

2 Likes