Let's talk about WR Charlie Jones

Hmmm… what’s with all the white boy comps?

I think he’s Terry McLaurin. Maybe not quite as long or as good at contested catches, but maybe a little faster. But they look a lot alike. Golden Tate also comes to mind, but I think it’s the #15 more than anything else.

1 Like

What’s with all #15 comps?
:joy:

You said it. :rofl:

1 Like

Both those guys bring other things to the plate but for me, if you’re going to play FB, you HAVE to be able to block first. Because I think we get Williams back and he’s your short yardage guy, I want my FB to be able to catch next, tackle on special teams and then run with the ball.

Yeah I actually think Willis is the best blocker of the 3, at least in space. Whyle is the best pass-catcher, and Colletto’s kind of a combo. But the main reason I like them all is every one is at least a plus run blocker.

2 Likes

I think his upside is limited, but he has a pretty high floor and I believe he’s almost a sure solid #3 WR. That being said, where does that type of projection get you drafted? Him being 25 isn’t a huge deal, but plays a factor for sure. I think if you are in need of a solid WR and miss out in rounds 1 or 2, he is a easy slam dunk in round 3.

Yeah but Josh actually PLAYS FB…

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/espn-draft-analysts-name-josh-whyle-top-three-fullback

Kiper rated senior tight end Josh Whyle as his second-best H-Back/Fullback. ESPN colleague Matt Miller also placed Whyle second on the same list.

1 Like

I have Whyle ranked the highest of the three as well, so he’d be the one I prefer. But Willis and Colletto both played a ton of H-Back and fullback in college as well. They’re all three plenty prepared for the task.

1 Like

I think Whyle is going to post an eye popping 40 and go higher than that. I think he becomes team’s consolation prize if the miss out on Musgrave.

I do really like him though. Dude can threaten yhe sewm in a way that none of our current group can.

Coletto adds a Wildcat package as well. He’s damn good in those short yardsage situations.

2 Likes

It’s almost like Brian Ferentz has his job bc of nepotism or something.

They had some decent QB’s in the past, not great, but decent…and no WR’s. They finally get some WR’s but they leave because the QB sucks and this last season the OL was young and never really got better as the season progressed. Sadly, Brian did a good job coaching the OL before he became OC. Jones wasn’t the first WR to leave IOWA for Purdue,Tyrone Tracy jr was. He was listed as IOWA’s #1 WR after spring practice 2021.

1 Like

Aiden O’Connell was a very accurate short passer. Watching he and Jones dissect a defense was like watching Goff and StBrown. Then again does he really look much different than watching Kennedy in the pre season? Would Kennedy have had those same results if he was playing for Purdue last year?

1 Like

No receiver in the B1G had those results last year. O’Connell had a QBR of over 118 when throwing at Charlie, slightly higher than his numbers with David Bell. To call O’Connell an accurate short passer really deflects from his total game and from what Jones and Bell did. Would Kennedy have done as well, maybe, don’t know for sure but I do know we have seen Kennedy’s ceiling and haven’t seen CJ’s.

2 Likes

Sure, but unless we’re getting rid of Williams why would we even bother to find out?

1 Like

This TE class is so deep I think we can get a good one in the 5th round. There are some in the 6th round in the mocks but once the comp picks are awarded those picks in the 6th will look much worse. One I want to see at the combine is Tucker Kraft from SDakota st. His stats are somewhat skewed because he played in a run first offense. He looked like a man among boys in college. He is a ripped 265 pounds and he is the best blocking TE I have seen this year. I know he wasn’t playing in the SEC like Washington but he has the right effort and attitude. He could have sat out to prepare for the draft but he played every game to get SDakota st to the championship. The combine will tell alot about where he gets drafted.

1 Like

Just another option for the defense to have to think about.

2 Likes

I think Kraft is going far before we’d be looking TE. Dane had him as a 1st round pick at one point and now most experts have him solidly in the 2nd/early 3rd. I don’t think we’ll be pulling the trigger that early.

In fact aside from the FB/TE hybrid, I wouldn’t draft a TE at all. I want to see what Mitchell can do a year removed from the ACL injury. He’s only showed a fraction of the athleticism in the pros that he showed on tape at Virginia Tech.

1 Like

I agree I want to see a lot more of Mitchell. In fact if we lose Chark we may need Mitchell to really step up. I think Brock Wright is what he is but Mitchell has a much higher ceiling. Ben just maximizes the talents of every weapon we have even if those talents are limited like Wright. It’s fun to imagine what he would do with a TE like Musgrave. i’m not a big fan of using a 3rd tackle because Hock wouldn’t block .I’d much rather see a TE like Kraft in that position. I just try to fit the strengths of the draft to fit rather than taking some 260 pound DT in the first rd just because we need a DT.

1 Like

And… I hear RBs do get injured… occasionally. :wink:

1 Like