Lion fans too traumatized to draft another TE?

Josh Whyle in the 6th.

3 Likes

I used to believe that a quality TE could be the fulcrum the Lions needed to take the team over the top. Practically had a doctoral thesis written in my head.

Fast forward twenty years.

Positional value is real. Seeing what round the majority of today’s top TE’s were taken in, is real. Understanding that success is often predicated on those Positional value picks is real.

This doesn’t even address the problem of our historical scouting shortcomings at the position.

Count me out on wasting a pick on a TE before the 3rd round.

5 Likes

I think Sam LePorta ends up being the next famous TE from TE U. He played on an AWEFUL offense. He will be worth way more on the field than a late 2nd or early 3rd. Guy is a football player. Washington and LePorta are my guys

1 Like

I think a better question is what deficiencies do our current tight ends have that we could upgrade, and who does those things better than what we have.

I like them both but Washington is just an undersized tackle at this point. He reminds me of that Williams guy we had years ago

Mike Martz would love a triple headed Furrey

I agree that LaPorta will be a steal for someone. Just probably not us.

My neophyte eyes see the Lions having the TE in a lot of the down by down packages, but mostly blocking.

Then they hit them for TDs when no one thinks it’s going to happen….

I think we will not pursue a TE this season

When a TE class is this deep you draft one…

We have to draft a TE, RB, and a CB just because the draft is stacked that way.

1 Like

definitely traumatized
everyone has rationale
it never works out

triggered GIF

Here are some quality prospects at TE.

Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, Kraft, Kuntz, Musgrave, LaPorta, and Schoonmaker. That’s EIGHT Quality prospects. Now, if you think all eight are going to be gone by the time pick 81 in the 3rd round comes along, that 1/4 of the league’s teams are going to select a player of low positional value before then…well…I’m just going to say it’s highly unlikely…

1 Like

Honestly I wouldn’t be all that surprised if we came out of the draft without drafting a single TE at all. I think it’s more likely than not.

2 Likes

I understand your post but this is just so incorrect. Saying that not drafting Mayer is like not drafting CJ is wrong on every level. Sorry, bad comparison.

Steve Harvey Cringe GIF by ABC Network

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me either, but I just wanted to point out how unlikely it was that there will be such a run on a part time offensive position that we would be out of options before the third round. I’m not fussed one way or another, our production out of the position rose after we unloaded Hockenson with the guys currently there. So?

2 Likes

I think Musgrave would be a great addition if we could get him in the 2nd round. If we don’t bring Chark back then Swift is the only big play threat. I think Musgrave and Mitchell would be great in a 2 TE set up. Musgrave is a legit deep threat and Ben would have a field day with a shiny new toy like that. As of right now we don’t know if Jamo becomes what he was for the Tide or if he is just a back up gunner on the punt team. I want to add at least 1 playmaker and I’d rather have Musgrave than just about any WR in this draft.

You might be right, but I’d be really surprised if we went that route based on the way we shifted our TE usage.

2 Likes

googled list of 2023 top TE:

Travis Kelce: 3rd round
Mark Andrews: 3rd round
Dallas Goedert: 2nd round
Darren Waller: 6th round
T.J. Hockenson: 1st round
Kyle Pitts: 1st round
George Kittle: 5th round
Dalton Schultz: 4th round
Evan Engram: 1st round
Pat Freiermuth: 2nd round
David Njkoku: 1st round
Cole Kmet: 2nd round

Other 1st rounders last 10 years:
Tyler Eifert
Eric Ebron
O.J. Howard
Hayden Hurst
Noah Fant

I’ll pass on 1st round TE

4 Likes

I am against taking a TE in the 1st round because its stupid. But other than that its a great idea.

5 Likes

We also got good production out of those guys. I say keep developing Mitchell and Wright. I trust Dan Campbell when it comes to that position group.

2 Likes

so naughty new girl GIF