Lion fans too traumatized to draft another TE?

I thought I could trust Millen when it came to Linebackers…

2 Likes

I thought I could trust a fart on Taco Tuesday

poop GIF

Here is an article that provides more depth to the argument against drafting a TE in the 1st round….

also…. here are the TEs selected in the 1st round in the past 15 years.

There are pretty much some of the worst run franchises at the time of the selections… except maybe the Ravens…. who had a former TE as the GM making the pick… who chose the over-aged TE over the starting QB.

And Ben Johnson was a TE coach himself before getting promoted.

The funny part is the 1st round TE was a flop, but he found a star in the same draft when he took Mark Andrews in the 3rd round. The 3rd round has consistently proven to be the sweet spot for drafting a TE.

3 Likes

I definitely don’t want a TE at the top of the draft but they are calling Mayer “ baby Gronk “. Said, he was ND whole passing game and knows how to manipulate bracket coverage. Valenti thinks he would be a big addition to our offense.

That’s fair. The difference is Dan has a competent gm and an owner that won’t interfere. I’d be interested to know if millen wanted sims or dizon or if he was talked into it by his coaches.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this. Washington is the only TE I would be really interested in. He’s an elite blocker and an end zone matchup nightmare. We have good TEs already who did a good job last year. Washington’s blocking ability sets him apart.

4 Likes

So we should take him where Gronk was drafted, which wasn’t the 1st round. Its always funny to me when the new crop of TE prospects come out and one of the ways they try to justify taking a TE in the 1st round is naming a bunch of TEs who didn’t go in the 1st round. And when someone points this out, the answer is always the same. “This guy is different! Times are changing!” Rinse and repeat for the last 20 years.

Agree. Washington isn’t like most TE’s.

We only have 1 TE under contract in 2024, Mitchell.

Lions fans are going to start having to get used to us drafting for NEXT year. It is highly unlikely that we will have as many rookies starting as we’ve had the last couple of years. Those “holes” are getting filled. We only have 1 CB under contract for 2024 so CB is a “need” in this draft.

2 Likes

That 51 yarder by Wright was a thing beauty.
Zylstra’s 3 TD game!
That told me everything I needed to know.
We’re just fine at TE.

2 Likes

I often fall back on this is as well, but in all honestly Gronk was probably a 1st round TE if it wasn’t for the back surgery that cost him a good chunk of 2008 and all of 2009.

2 Likes

2nd round pick with a back injury, sounds very familiar.

3 Likes

I remember when Quinntricia drafted the “next Gronk”….

2 Likes

I see no comparison between Gronk and Mayer. Mayer is a good football player but he is very slow and lumbering in his downfield routes. A better comp for him would be Mark Bavaro. I just don’t see Mayer as a 1st rd athlete. He is good at catching in traffic but he just don’t get any separation and I think that will be even more difficult in the NFL.

3 Likes

Gronk was not a 1st round pick. I realize how people try to bend their mind around that fact, but I recommend that noone fall into the trap. The Pats took Aaron Hernandez in the 4th round of the same draft. A-Hern also outproduced the real 1st round pick TE that year (Jermain Gresham).

1 Like

I think Gronk was the last First Team All Pro that Bill drafted.

1 Like

don’t care if we draft a TE-glorified WR anyway, so long as we don’t burn high draft picks on it.

1 Like

Most overrated prospect in this years draft IMO. There’s a lot of quality tight ends we can draft in later rounds.

2 Likes