Lions backup plan if Hutch went No. 1 overall was Travon Walker?

Thank goodness this hypothetical scenario didn’t happen.

1 Like

But I thought some random former NFL Scout had a “very, very, very” good source and the Houston Texans also knew that KT was the guy!? :laughing:

3 Likes

Good Lord, what a shit article. It’s not even a anonymous source it’s just he got “ word “ the Lions would have selected Walker. Who the fuck gave him that word, Rich Eisen?

3 Likes

I heard that as well, a few of the lions beat guys confirmed it as accurate. I guess two high-ranking lion people were quoted as “HELL NO” on KT.

1 Like

Personally I would not have loved it, but given the premium Holmes obviously puts on athletic traits and measurables–and the fact we drafted mini-Travon in round 2–it wouldn’t surprise me. You are not going to find a more freakishly gifted athlete than Travon Walker.

1 Like

Long game here.

Holmes knows Baalke will be picking before him next year too. Plant some articles that confirm Baalke didna good job, that he should keep on doing Baalke things…

Gonna pay off next year in havingbtalent drop to him or soften him uonfornthe trade up for Stroud

5 Likes

Yup - Thankful we got Hutch.
Wold have taken t-Walk over KT 10 times out of 10.

LOL - Yup - High likelihood Jags pick top 3 next year too.

If I was a player I’d HATE having to play in the FL stadiums.
Miami used to have shade on the home sideline, while the visitors (and visiting fans, btw) have to sit in scorching heat. I was so proud when our guys beat them. I was up in the concourse watching much of it on the tvs inside…too much for me to even sit in, and those dudes were playing football in it…Shitty, shitty scenario.

If I had lived in FL, I may not even have played high school football. LOL. It’s unreal.

translation → would be SO awful to get picked by Jax

Yep. We lucked out.
I guess Thibs was just too much “headmonster”?
That guy was signing Lions gear!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This guy told me it was KT all the way

8 Likes

From Peter King’s FMIA column:

Hmmmmm

All-Conference teams and All-America teams are not very important when it comes to the best prospects for the draft. But I find this interesting:

• The Southeastern Conference coaches vote for all-conference first and second teams. They vote for four first-team defensive linemen and four second-team offensive linemen. Travon Walker, the first pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, did not make the first or second team on the defensive line, among the eight players chosen.

• PFF honored its 2021 All-Americans, with four defensive linemen on the first, second and third teams, and four honorable mentions. Sixteen defensive lineman. Walker was not one of the 16.

• On the traditional Associated Press All-America team, with four linemen named on each of the first, second and third teams, Walker was not one of the 12 defensive linemen selected.

On the Courtney Brown comparison. From Jim Dunn: “Aside from being soft-spoken black men of similar stature, what is it about Travon Walker that reminded you of Courtney Brown? It seems a surprising comparison. Brown: 33 sacks (NCAA record at the time), 70 TFL (NCAA record at the time) Walker: 9.5 sacks, 13 TFL.”

It’s their relative invisibility. At Sports Illustrated the year Brown came out, I profiled him and was struck at how unfamous he was, and how he wanted to keep it that way. He hated the spotlight. I thought, When you’re the first pick in the draft, you’d better be ready for the spotlight. He wasn’t. I was reminded of that in the coverage of the draft on TV. Walker’s pick seemed like a cameo. I don’t recall the first pick of the draft being as glossed over as Walker was, at least since draft coverage exploded in the last 10 or 12 years. For better or for worse, after a college career of never being in the spotlight, Walker is about to feel the pressure that first overall picks can find suffocating.

Lions may have dodged a bullet there

1 Like

Whatever they are going to do with Paschal, I would imagine they’d have done with Travon Walker. Then we’d have taken a Drake Jackson type for the Hutch role.

I can see us upgrading DL even further, next year…if they are comfortable with Goff.

Definitely
High probability that one of the top 3 picks will be somewhere on the DL again

Draft elite skill and elite beef early

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.