Lions dodged a bullet when Terrion Arnold was still available--other 1st Rd trade up target was

Darius Robinson, Missouri.

Was coming here to post this. IMO…we got a far better player.

2 Likes

I’m starting to believe that Brad has a problem with trading up. Not that there is anything wrong with Darius Robinson, but you don’t trade up for that.

6 Likes

When you are picking that late, and your top rated guys are coming off the board, think it makes a ton of sense to trade up with the roster we have.

With that said, I would have been disappointed if we traded up for Robinson as well. I don’t think he has the upside needed for a 1st rounder, although I think he has a solid floor.

5 Likes

YARN | Exactamundo! | Chappelle's Show (2003) - S02E09 Music ...

1 Like

The best team in the NFL traded up for a player they wanted. So did the KC Chiefs. No issues from me.

11 Likes

If the hit percentage stays even close to what it is now, Brad can do whatever he wants.

13 Likes

I do like the TA pick way more that Robinson.

At this point I am OK with the Lions taking a bit more risk on guys with higher ceilings that might also have some lower floor. And I get it. Hutch was a high floor guy with I suspect a bit of a ceiling (still a work in progress IMO). So drafting a bunch of guys who are dawgs with high floors will build you a solid winning squad. But I also think you need a few high fliers to win it all. The Lions lack of defensive backfield talent cost them a SB trip last year. And some WR play that was sub par when the bullets were flying. I have a pretty lengthy opinion on this whole topic but will save it for another day.

The Lions really aren’t going for high end talent. They’re going for guys they like in the interviews, guys they think match what they value in personality, they’ve taken it quite far. Willing to trade up for it.

And, it’s working.

1 Like

They for sure have a type. I am just wondering if it is enough. The Lions really need Jamo to become a game breaker. He has to be more. And on defense they need more play makers. Branch was an immediate difference for the team. When he was on the field in the slot corner he made plays and was a difference maker. Even other teams were commenting about him later in the season. If you are going to stay true to that plan, it is great because you should be able to maintain a certain level of play. But you also need to be hitting on guys who have more to give than they showed in college.

Hence my issue with Jamo. He has not come close to his impact he had on the game in college. While many others have hit that level or climbed. So he is an example of a player Brad took a bit of a risk on that has not yet met the bar. Good kid, and he loves his teammates and clearly loves football and will block. He just needs to tighten up his game. He is still young

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with this. He needs to be a player who is feared and game planned for, like Tyreek Hill.

1 Like

Jamo had a bit of the dropsies early on but he looks like his old college self now. Doesn’t seem a good fit for Goff. Not sure you can expect him to be more than he was in college rationally.

Fair more is a tall order. But I do think he can be the same level of game impact. Which is not unreasonable.

He got taken at 27 so they would have needed to trade up for him.
I wouldn’t have been a huge fan of that but it’s not like Robinson would have been some massive reach and he would have filled a need.

What does concern me a bit is that the Lions fall in love with these “edge setters” versatile edges that win with strength not speed on a defense that badly needs more dynamic speed which wasn’t really addressed this offseason and in the draft. Makes me think that Houston won’t get much of a shot next season.

1 Like

I agree that they don’t value speed on defense. We will see how that works out for them.

I mean is this just speculation??? Are there any facts supporting that Robison was the target??

I find it hard to believe the media would be privy to this info…

2 Likes

It’s true you would’ve had to trade for either player. But Robinson had late round talent, roughly worth our pick. Arnold had early first talent, worth more than our pick. You couldn’t know Arnold would be there, which is why it was a great opportunity.