Lions dont use playaction or motion

At least he didn’t throw 3 pick 6’s 3 weeks in a row….I mean how smart is that??

2 Likes

It all makes sense now.

1 Like

Oddly in SD with Herbert they were too 10 in deep passes and middle of the road in play action.

I’m not sure I buy that it’s a Lynn problem.

Last year the Rams and Goff were 4th in play action. They were damn good at it so it’s odd that we do not incorporate it more.

One things for sure is that it would help reduce the pass rush.

2 Likes

The Chargers had Mike Williams, Jalen Guyton, and Tyron Johnson… so I think it had more to do with a talented big WR and 2 burners than the play action percentage.

The Chargers did utilize more stack WR formations to get free releases on some of those deep balls… which Lynn has basically not used at all here in Detroit.

1 Like

Didn’t someone post that the Chargers OC has completely turned around the Eagles offense from last place to top 15?

Lynn probably wasn’t that involved in the offense of the chargers and so perhaps we can’t attribute it’s relative success and quick ascension of Herbert to him (though I did before the season not knowing him at all).

2 Likes

For Me Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

So there you go… Lynn was riding the coat tails of Shane Steichen.

1 Like

You don’t have to buy it. However, It was 100% the case.

2 Likes

So explain to me why Lynn’s offenses everywhere that he’s been involved looked nothing like what we’re running?

For example in Buffalo his offense was ranked top 10. In fact it was top ten in team history and his run game was top 5. And finished 3rd best in team history. Finishing with over 2600 yards rushing. He did this with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

Mind you the Bills have a history of great offenses. They had OJ Simpson who had over 2000 yards rushing. Lynn’s offenses fell just behind those 70’s offenses that had OJ.

So for Lynn to coach and play call the teams 3rd best offense in team history. A top 10 ranked offense and a top 5 run game. Not to mention that offense lost thier star WR in Sammy Watkins for the season but they still performed. Why can’t he do it here? Why is he suddenly the problem. He had success in NYJ, Buff and SD. But not here.

Yes Lynn has always been on the conservative side and has always been a run heavy offense but he’s also always used a fair amount of play action. He’s always taken shots down field. But not here.

Why is it different here? …… there has to be some other factor.

Your to have me believe that the guy somehow forgot how to coach? And is a problem.

I dont know I just find that hard to believe.

1 Like

This is the 1st time Lynn has been the OC that installed the offense in training camp.

Greg Roman was the OC in Buffalo in 2015 when Tyrod Taylor arrived. Roman was brought in to run an offense similar to what he had in San Fran when they made a Super Bowl on the legs of Kaep and the defense.
Buffalo had the 13th ranked offense, #1 ranked rush offense. The 2015 Bills had more yards than the 2016 Bills.

In 2016, Roman started the season as the OC again… and installed the offense in training camp. Lynn only became the OC after Roman was fired after 2 weeks, even though the Bills had 31 points and 393 yards in week 2.

Lynn took over and scored >25 points 6 times in 14 games… against the Cards, Rams, 49ers, Jags, Browns, and Dolphins… some of the worst defense in the NFL that year.

2 Likes

You can believe whatever you want. I stand by what I said. I have it extremely good authority that everything I said is 100% spot on. Your points about previous stops are not wrong but we are talking about Detroit and why he has been so bad in Detroit. You can disagree Air, I couldn’t care less. I’m simply responding bc I decided it’s rude to just ignore you when you direct a comment to me……but Lately when it comes to discussions regarding my takes you have been wrong……these points are not just my personal opinion. I do have insight into these topics that you clearly do not have. I shared with the den……I’ll stop sharing……

Don’t be like that just because someone disagrees with you.

We can have a healthy debate and still respect each other’s posts and views.

Lynn has had plenty of success in the past. Good success in fact. That success is what lead to being assistant HC and HC.

I know people want to blame Lynn. Most want to do it because they feel it gives Campbell an out. Someone’s got to be the escape goat.

He installed the offense in SD.

He established the offense in NYJ when he was HC.
He followed Rez Ryan to Buff.
He established the offense in SD.

Roman was fired in Sept before the season even started. Lynn took over then. He called all the plays and had full control over the offense. When asked he said this.

“I want to play smart, physical football. I want to be explosive down the field… We’re going to play a little bit faster and see if we can put a little pressure on the defense. Just execute.”

My point is that Lynn has had control over several offenses. Those offenses were successful. That success lead to him becoming a HC. None of those offenses looked anything like ours.

Are you saying the reason our offense stinks is not because of Lynn but because our WR’s suck?

I kinda agree. I think this is one mitigating factor.

But……

How does that lead to us not using playaction or motion very often?

Crappy WR’s shouldn’t cause you to change that and be so generic on offense.

Based on what we have seen so far this season, you have to conclude that Lynn has failed as an OC. I usually resist laying struggles like ours at the feet of one person, but you can’t deny things look much more NFL-like with Johnson as the passing game coordinator and DC as the play-caller. Talent is a huge part of that for Lynn, but it also sounds like he’s not on the details for the passing game that Johnson is.

I would also want to look deeper into the point @Phunnypharm makes about him installing an offense, especially since the current coaches have stated Johnson’s emphasis on the details of where each pass-catcher is and developing a bit of confidence in Goff for them being where he’s expecting them to be.

Yeah but can’t we blame that on other factors too?

1. Everyone was new and just learning.
  2. Early losses at WR stifled the offense.
  3. The competition was tougher earlier on. When Lynn was in we faced one of the toughest NFL schedules.

But also I’d argue our offense isn’t really any better.

Under Lynn we averaged 321 yards a game. Yet only 16.8 points a game on the season.

Since Dan has taken over those numbers have dropped to 311 yards a game and 16.4 pts a game on the season.

Hard to say we’re better after Lynn when we’re not.

The competition got lighter would be my take from that.

I’d also like to point out that this team quit in two games at home when Lynn was calling. Is that on Lynn or the head coach? But that fact skew the numbers against Lynn even more.

1 Like

0-8 vs 1-3-1

But that’s not due to the offense being better. Because it’s not. It’s actually worse against weaker competition.

Prior to Dan taking over play calling our defense was giving up 30.5 points a game. Heck we gave up over 40 points twice.

Afterwords we’ve averaged 22 points a game and only given up more than 30 once and that was yesterday.

Point is that it’s the defense that was better not the offense. And level of play had a lot to do with that.

Opponents and schedule matters, yes.
That said, 2 of the games were outdoors in the rain, so the style of play and score is going to reflect that.

What’s the argument?

The offense is worse under DC/BJ? Goff’s confidence/play isn’t different?