Lions have almost no dead salary cap hits for 2024 to start the offseason

3 Likes

*This is huge, as we get close to signing our young core, think about having to throw $60M out the window for dead cap hits!
Thank You Brad/Mike!

1 Like

Yea $15.73m. as it stands right now.
nothing!

1 Like

ā€œAs of the start of the offseason, the Lions rank 23rd in dead cap obligations for the upcoming season. Detroit has just $1.43 million in dead money for 2024. Nearly all of it comes from two players: Marvin Jones ($800,000) and Isaiah Buggs ($500,000). Chase Lucas adds on just under $50,000, with the rest coming from signing bonuses for undrafted rookies who didnā€™t make the team.ā€

The void contracts havent been added yet. Vaiti, glasgow, CJGJ etc

2 Likes

ā€œThere is the potential for the Lions to add some more with some pending roster decisions. Guys like Tracy Walker, Halapoulivaati Vaitai and Romeo Okwara would add a lot of dead cap to the tally if theyā€™re removed from the roster.ā€

???

Vaitai and Okwara? Risdonā€¦I have some news for youā€¦

1 Like

Those void years in their contracts will result in dead cap when theyā€™re gone.

Is 10 mil ā€œalmost no deadā€? I donā€™t know if Iā€™d term it that way, but thatā€™s where weā€™ll be sitting pretty soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, he must be pulling his numbers from OTC, because Spotrac shows the void contracts. Sloppy.

Spotrac is terrible for getting things wrong. OTC has the dead contracts, you just have to know how to read the contracts table. I just donā€™t think Risdon understands contracts. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

$14,301,529 by my spreadsheet on void years, plus the $1,431,310 in already accrued dead cap is $15,732,839. Far stretch from the ā€˜almost zeroā€™ Risdon states. This is also why I donā€™t read Lions Wire.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got 14,301,528 in void years totals. That sound about right?

1 Like

Sounds right!

2 Likes

Youā€™re considering Glasgow as Dead if heā€™s re-signed?

I used to think anything under $5m was a good dead cap number.

Getting to that level and staying there is not easy ā€” and may not be desirableā€” could just mean youā€™re hanging onto players you shouldnā€™t.

I didnā€™t click through but it sounds like +/- $15m is the league average.

So, below $15m is a good number :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I mean, heā€™s currently not re-signed, so heā€™s dead to me! (for now!)

ike broflovski revenge GIF by South Park

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure whether you can roll a void year into a new deal or whether itā€™s just a sunken resource that is its own animal. Logic suggests that you could roll it in, but for what purpose? Thatā€™s already money owed to Glasgow, itā€™s like an IOU slip you give someone, they arenā€™t just going to say, Yeah itā€™s all good, you know? He might defer the amount, plus a little extra for his trouble, in void years on a new deal though? I think it will be interesting to examine.

1 Like

As far as Iā€™m aware, Grahamā€™s $1,470,000 that is he owed for his void year is non-negotiable to be fully paid out in 2024. Itā€™s part of a pro-rated signing bonus that really canā€™t be moved. In an extension, this number isnā€™t going to change at all. Any additional money paid to Graham will be on top of that.

1 Like

True, but you could end up with a de facto deferment if he elects to take that amount less in the first year of his deal, thus kicking the can down the road. Should the Lions resign any of these guys, it will be interesting to examine what the end of their contract looks like.

Just to clarify, that is hypothetically based on seeing void year/years in a new deal with an amount in excess of 1.47 million.

2 Likes

Oh sure, and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if thatā€™s what they did. I was just commenting on that prorated salary he is already owed for 204 being unmovable.

1 Like