Lions HC Dan Campbell on stopping Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: 'Make him go Backwards'

*used to suck vs running QBs
Every single position on defense will be upgraded, either through talent, through more experience, through more gelling and cohesion with each other… In the playbook, etc.

Additions of branch and Cjgj will be huge.
Full season of Houston
Bugs and commish full season (healthy)
Improved young players, including Hutch
Better linebackers

1 Like

It absolutely sucks to have Mahomes on your schedule

But if he was on your schedule you would want it to be week one so you could spend all summer preparing for him

1 Like

Just fwiw this how Chiefs fan sites are seeing it. Apparently they’re feeling their defense?

1 Like

they brought heat… but only had to rush 4 against backup OTs.

It will be interesting to see how the 2 new OTs hold up, but the interior 3 guys are veey good.

2 Likes

Also Suh was taking names and kicking ass all day inside during that super bowl. Really need Alim to play well.

2 Likes

Smack the piss out of him!

They weren’t that great against Fields either. Good thing was that Fields only has one tool.

Going back to the Philadelphia game, two things:

1. Hurts hadn’t fully broken out yet. There was a lot of skepticism about his ability to pass and manage an offense. This was completely forgotten as he emerged an MVP caliber player

2. Hutchinson’s first game. He broke contain on almost every play. He learned and he’s learning.

That shit was driving me crazy. NFL player consistently blowing contain.

Conditioning was definitely a factor for him back then as well

Huh… I mean, I guess they’ve earned it with their recent success.

But man, hubris like that can get you smacked around in a hurry. I doubt the actual Chiefs players have that same mindset. But, if you think you have ‘arrived’ and can just walk through an opponent, you are often not emotionally ready to get hit in the mouth and come back fighting. There’s a difference between ‘staying cool’ under pressure and not given an opponent respect.

Man, I can’t wait for ACTUAL games to start… only two days!

1 Like

Their coach is AWESOME! No way they show up unprepared.
Same with us. They will be more prepared than us (more vets, been in the same system for a decade, etc).

It will be the well-oiled machine vs the barbarian horde.

Can’t wait.

My hope is that our OL is just too much for them

Apparently, they’re oblivious to the fact that the Lions have one of the best OLs in the NFL.

The Bucs didn’t blitz once the entire game and they got home with 4 constantly against 5 backups on the oline. Additionally, Todd Bowles played two high the entire game and dared Mahomes to throw underneath all day.

The game plan worked like a charm and it broke Mahomes brain for the next year. Basically, every single team the Chiefs played implemented it.

After the Bucs game, Kansas City overhauled the offensive line, WR corp and after the 2021 AFC championship game loss to the Bengals they overhauled the offensive approach with Mahomes maturing into a fully functional checkdown charlie.

The Chiefs last year the Chiefs used more TE’s than any team in the league. Ran the ball a lot and did more traditional play action. It was the best offense in the league and it was good enough that Mahomes won the superbowl on one leg.

I think it’s harder to slow down this version of the Chiefs than any offense I can recall. Its still possible though because the Bengals keep doing it (Kinda). The biggest thing you need is an EXTREMELY connected back 7 that can be deployed in a number of different ways. You have to confuse Mahomes. It’s critical. In addition, you have to get home with 4.

Confusing him is very hard and getting home with 4 is very hard against one of the 3 best olines in football (Lions right here too).

You can have a phenomenal defensive game plan and the Chiefs could score 30 so the big thing for the Lions is to just keep scoring.

2 Likes

Nice post, welcome!

1 Like

him and Vea both!

1 Like

that LB (white?) had an amazing game too

They also had to worry about Hill.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.