Lions HC Dan Campbell on stopping Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: 'Make him go Backwards'

2 Likes

Make him go backwards and not have time to turn and throw.
So our starting D is:

Alim McNeill
Isaiah Buggs
Levi Onwuzurike
Benito Jones

Aidan Hutchinson
Charles Harris
John Cominsky
Josh Paschal
James Houston
Romeo Okwara
Julian Okwara

Turn em all lose. Knock down the receivers on the way in.

excited genius GIF

2 Likes

Making Barry Sanders go backwards did not work.

With Barnes, Rodrigo, Campbell & Thor behind it.

3 Likes

Very poor comparison, my bro. Mahommes isn’t that

2 Likes

Here he is running backwards…he does stuff like this almost every game. It won’t be easy.

I’m very happy to hear him say this. Because that really is how you beat him. Pressure him and he makes mistakes. Most of the time when teams beat KC it’s when Mahomes is making mistakes.

We have the rotation to keep things fresh and unexpected. We should mix up our blitz packages a be able to hide where the pressure will come from. If we do that successfully and keep Mahomes under pressure he will make the mistakes needed for the Lions to win.

But the Lions have an offense that can give KC a run for their money. If Goff of 2022 shows up week one then KC will have a handful to deal with.

Hutch could have a big game and create a pick or two. I’m hoping he gives Mahomes a lot to think about.

Here are some of Mahomes pics. Take a look.

Go Lions!

3 Likes

Um. most of those picks were from 2018-2019. i mean, Chris Conley was in that clip, as well as Tyreek. Think I saw Wilson in there, fcs.

1 Like

The context of dans answer was classic Campbell. The reporter asked a question about how you stop Mahomes and he used a basketball analogy about forcing right handed dribblers to their left so how do you force Mahomes to go to his left.

Dan responds, you don’t force him to go left or right, you prefer to make him go backwards. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see his 12 ints from last year.

1 Like

Yea, Tyreek dropped at least 2 of those in the video that turned into INT’s. Sure can’t be last year.

Mahomes is really only a man…

Hes Cut Rocky Iv GIF - Hes Cut Rocky IV - Discover & Share GIFs

https://youtu.be/7XcDYSDmwTk?si=CJMMzvgZKHIYSVzT

He was up in points when all of these happened last year.

if he bleeds-we can kill it *

3 Likes

Not trying to bring down the room, because I love Dan. But I heard this and he was very much tongue-in-cheek about it. Almost like “duh, you move him backwards.”

He was having a laugh rather than laying out an actual defensive strategy.

(because obviously every team in the league wants to move him backwards)

As I said, just for what it’s worth. Of course a reporter for the Chiefs would turn it into something resembling billboard material.

3 Likes

Tampa wrecked his ass in the Super Bowl by bringing heat

Yeah, but you compared him to the most elusive RB of all time! He ain’t nowhere near that. James Houston is a 3rd stringer on our depth chart and I think he woulda dropped Mahomes on that replay.

Honestly, half those pix were the ball bouncing off the receivers’ hands. Jeez this dude is good. 5 were him forcing it to Kelce. They’re beatable.

1 Like

If Houston drops Mahomes 2 or 3 times for sacks we probably win, so I sure hope you are right.

Mahomes does so much damage on broken, extended plays. AG was talking about this in his presser yesterday. Mahomes being so dangerous when he extends plays by an extra 2 or 3 seconds making it so hard on the DB’s to cover so long was what AG was saying. The D-line has gotta get him to the ground as much as possible. If Mahomes runs for a 10 yard 1st down, no big deal. But if he scrambles, makes 3 guys miss and then throws a 50 yard TD, that shit is back breaker.

So my comparison to Barry was mostly joking, but the ability to extend plays and make defenders miss was was what I was getting at. Both guys were and are amazing when plays breakdown. .

1 Like

Roger that. We really suck against running QBs but on a hopeful note, no one was harder to bring down on a scramble than Justin Fields last year, so hopefully that tape leads to more solid team play.

2 Likes