Lions' Martin sharpening skills against Pro Bowl teammates while waiting for opportunity

The benefit of Martin’s situation is he’s been working with the scout-team defense during regular-season practices. That means he’s going head-to-head with Detroit’s starting offensive line every day, including Pro Bowlers Frank Ragnow and Jonah Jackson. There are few things that could prepare him better for when his number eventually gets called.

“Working against them every day is helping me perfect my craft,” Martin said. “When my time comes, I’m pretty sure I’ll be ready.”

But for now, one of the biggest things Martin needs to work on beyond his pad level, hand placement and footwork is patience.

“It’s definitely helping me grow mentally,” he said. “It just builds up my hunger, every time I’m inactive. When I get my chance, you’ll see.”

3 Likes

Good, we need someone to step up in the middle of that line.

1 Like

By “step up”, we’re not talking figuratively. We need someone to literally “step up” into the pocket.

1 Like

You’d think either Buggs or BroMart will be activated on Sunday, but not both. How deep in the dog house is Buggs? We’ll find out.

1 Like

KC and Seattle were pass first teams, which is likely the reason for Buggs being inactive. Against a team that is more likely to pound the ball, I would be surprised to see Buggs inactive again, especially with Cominsky likely to play more edge.

Sounds great in theory. But they rarely even wear pads in practice during the week in the regular season. He needs live reps to improve.

@Sofatso about Buggs apparently he posted on social media he’s playing this week. Take that for what it’s worth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.