Lions meeting with rookies

I am sure this will update as time goes by.

The one thing that stood out to me is that the Lions meeting with the Edges. Looks like they are looking more at the power guys vs the fast guys. Though that could change today.

2 Likes

I have had my eye on Nelson Caesar for a bit. He’s the kind of edge we’ve been using on the right side. That Charles Harris/Romeo Okwara body type.

2 Likes

They’re also meeting with a lot of X receivers…

2 Likes

So would anyone here take a chance on Tez Walker in the 3rd?

My opinion…smoke-screen

Could certainly be, but I’m on record as being a huge fan of taking advantage of this WR class. Take the offense to the moon.

6 Likes

To me, the very top of this WR class is good. Other then that, I struggle to find value.

And I really struggle with spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR that wont see the ball much in our offense.

3 Likes

Thomas and Legette - along with McConkey - are the next tier of guys I think are legit and should be available to us (though of course McConkey isn’t an x). I think all 3 will be stars and would be very happy with them. After they’re gone I kind of agree with you, though there’s other guys I like.

Is Goff gonna throw to the X? How many times a game?

This isnt the way our offense is built, but maybe it changes?

Jameson is the X to me.

Outside WR near the sideline …fastest man in the NFL…they have to have a Safety to help…and he can run crossers and digs from the wide splits…

Jameson is our X…

1 Like

Jamo is a Z imo. He’s not gonna add much on a sidelong go route. Terrible at the catch point, which is why we’ve never used him that way. Literally ever.

Goff will throw to him however much it takes. Sometimes he’ll have a lot of targets, sometimes he won’t.

Lemme ask you this… if MH3 was available at 29, would you take him?

1 Like

Jameson can make that Safety have to widen…when he is the X…theyll have to do that…

Opens the whole field.

I dont know…maybe youre right…

But theyll need to dedicate a Safety to him…that should tell people something…

He can run flags and posts, deep routes that let him basket catch the ball, but he’ll never be a guy who goes up and hands catches it on the sideline imo

2 Likes

He doesn’t need to “go up and get it” if he is aligned near the sideline…he will out run any CB…and well…If that Safety helps the sorry CB that cant keep up with him (likely)…it opens the field…

And then…if he aligned near the sideline as an X …he can run the crossers he was so good at performing at Alabama…

homer simpson GIF

1 Like

Right, crossers, drags, flags, posts, some of those are traditional x routes but not all, and to fly by the outside receiver he’ll have to avoid getting bullied and imo that’s one area of his game that needs work. That’s why those angled running routes work best with him.

So he’s gonna be doing the z stuff, while a Thomas or Legette crushes the X stuff, with ARSB, LaPorta and Gibbs, I believe we can truly roll out one of the greatest offenses in NFL history.

1 Like

Get quicker off the line …if theyre pressing… slight motion…can help

1st-2nd round pick on a WR that will maybe catch 3 passes a game on average…

Tell me the value…

Definitely, and if he smokes them right away it’s good no matter where he lines up. But during the route the DB can use the sideline to bully him. He could grab him too. Maybe it gets called, maybe it doesn’t.

If you believe that, then tell me how will Brad convince others of it well enough to use it as a smokescreen? Doesn’t it seem kind of pointless to bring those guys in if we don’t have a place for them anyway? Who would we fool?

2 Likes

Line him up outside the number…motion inside (even slightly)…

He cant get pressed on and could go inside our out…

Maybe I am not smart…?

Yeah …probably not…:laughing:

I just think at a certain point you’re describing a guy who’s better off as a z, motions, off the line would help too, etc…

Now I’m not sure we’d be so rigid as to have xyz WRs, I think all of them will play everywhere, but the majority at those spots at least.

1 Like