Lions rookie offensive lineman eager to learn from loaded group in trenches

3 Likes

Intriguing guy to say the least reading his “I love to learn” and studying film from last years games to see how Detroit used theOL well great May reading.
Then you read this and lets see if Holmes hit on another late round pick.

Lions general manager Brad Holmes said Sorsdal was another prospect to make an impression at the East-West Shrine Bowl. Holmes watched how he played against better competition, switching from right tackle to the inside, saying, “Those things bode well … He did a good job.”

Respected offensive line guru Duke Manyweather called the new Lions offensive lineman potentially the “sleeper of the draft.” And Brian Baldinger, an NFL Network analyst and former NFL offensive lineman, praised Sorsdal for his size, movement and toughness in his game.

I think this is probably the most underrated portion of the teams improvement (not just on offense). Great coaching is great, but to have players who fully buy-in, learn from and are able to coach on the field on every down/movement is a step above. During my freshman year of high school, my wrestling coach was an Olympic qualifier, and he set the bar and demonstrated the technical aspects of everything. But, the seniors/juniors who had been working under him for several years were the guys that while drilling would stop the younger guys, and show us how to cinch up the details. This raised the floor of both the individuals and the team as a whole. Great teams have this, and now the Lions have been developing it over the past two seasons.

1 Like

Remember last year on Hard Knocks how the staff had the players lead their own practice one day? That was about cultivating communication and encouraging the habits you highlighted.

2 Likes

Yup - He’s important. We may have a cap casualty on our OL next offseason too. Also, it is possible Vatai 's health could be “a thing”.

We will most likely be drafting at least one OL next year for depth, competition, possibly even our highest pick.

We are starting to dip into a talent level where IF that happens, you hope for a trade, instead of a cut. Get somethign back for that handsome MF’r .

Duke Manyweather is an OL guru. He knows what a good OL looks like. He runs an OL training camp. I listen when he speaks.

I think Sorsdal is going to be a swing linemen for us. I think he has starter potential but ultimately he will start as a swing player.

1 Like

I think they’re hoping he’s a starter at OG by 2024.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.