Lions Rounds 2 & 3--“An entire draft of guys they could have taken at 18.”

The original managing editor of Lions Wire, Ty Schalter, succinctly wrapped up all the moves made in the second and third rounds by Detroit in one clear, perfectly stated sentence in a post on Twitter.

“An entire draft of guys they could have taken at 18.”

2 Likes

Exactly. Media guys are just furious that it ruined their mock drafts. I hope they excel and make these guys look even worse.

2 Likes

Chew the fat and taking a couple days. I think Brad could have obtained most of his later picks without trading up and selected some camp battle worthy OGs and DTs beyond what we got. They obviously felt the quality of the players at this point was so poor that they needed to make sure they got the prospects they wanted more than the camp fodder. So be it.

I can definitely get excited about our running game next year. JaMo Will have the longest recovery time ever for an injury. Our defense should be solid.

It’s a great time to be a lions fan. Let’s not lose sight of that.

4 Likes

Sorry…I don’t think Brodric Martin was ever a consideration at 18 for anybody. Not even close

And it is a real stretch to say that about LaPorta. Every Lions fan would have lost his mind.

Hooker…nope. He would have been a HUGE reach at 18

Branch would have been a a reach. We were discussing him being a good choice for the first pick in the 2nd and he fell to our second pick in the 2nd

So…that comment is a TOTAL FAIL not a perfect summary

But that doesn’t mean I don’t like all 4 of those picks…I do. It is just that this “perfect summary” is over-the-top ball washing for Holmes. He doesn’t need it. Just say he did a great job getting players that were good value for the pick and fit the team needs and mentality

6 Likes

I don’t think he was included in that analysis because the comment was made before the Lions traded up into the bottom of Round 3 to take Martin. From the context, the reference was to the other draftees: Branch, LaPorta, and Hooker.

4 Likes

And still nonsensical

Which one of those guys would you be happy that we took at 18?

1 Like

There needs to be an “swing and a miss” or negative, or down vote for people to use on posts.

3 Likes

NFL.com rated each teams draft. Lions got the worst grade with a C+

3 Likes

Every year, we hear about teams having a first round grade on only 10-20 picks. This year, I think one team had only 10 and another 14.

So if there’s a bunch of guys with second round grades taken between 15 or 20 and 63, does it really matter in which order they’re taken?

Was there ever a feedback on who we SHOULD have drafted from these people that say we missed ?

Do they say Carter at 6? Or Bijan over Gibbs ?

Who do they say at 12…18 TB liked Jack

1 Like

Draft grades mean nothing to me before these guys actually play. Love the positive stuff but don’t care either way. Mel giving MattnMillen an A plus for taking Mike Williams……

1 Like

If you think you are a better drafter than Brad you are dumber than you look

I don’t know if I have the energy to explain this, or if this is even the correct thread to take a bite out of this…

I’m going to bite though. “1st round grade, 2nd round grade, 3rd round grade” those actually aren’t real things. At least within football organizations they aren’t.

Grades look like this- 1. Hall of famer (very rare hardly ever assigned) 2. Pro Bowler 3. Plus starter 4. Average Starter 5. Below average starter etc etc

It’s all assigned on a bell curve in comparison to other players in the league at the respective position & then it’s on the decision maker to decide what round that player is worth being taken in.

1 Like

At the time …branch thought he was one of the best safest picks in the draft…hooker i wouldn’t of have been happy but the draft experts.would have.

OP, it’s my understanding when Shulter made this tweet he was talking about all our picks up to that point including the first round ones but before Martin as people have said.

My only complaint about this draft is I feel like the Lions could have taken Carter at 6 and still worked the draft to get Gibbs and Campbell both. Now maybe they do not get Laporta. Which I am not sure I care about. And yes I get it that Carter is clearly a risk. But basically in this scenario the Lions get a high risk/high reward guys along with the nice safe picks they craved also. 6, 18 , 48, 55. Maybe you package 48&55 and move up to get Campbell or Gibbs.
Don’t get me wrong. I liked the draft and the number of players also. So missing on Carter would have hurt. But watching some of his tape in college the guy is an absolute FREAK of nature. And if that translates into the NFL the Lions passing on him will be talked about for years to come.

2 Likes

I liked Carter alot so I feel your pain. But I do not see a good path to getting Gibbs and Campbell if you stay put at 6 and take Carter. Brad has talked about his inside sources that made him aware of some information the mock drafters didn’t have leading up to the draft. And information that has come out since the draft confirms Brad’s information.

Per Brad’s intel and info since then, it appears Gibbs was going to be off the board before the 18th pick. Somewhere around #15 is what Brad was told. Before we traded down with the Cardinals, Brad had intended to trade up from 18 to grab Gibbs. So that part was actually going to happen. The hard part would then be to get Campbell. The mock drafts were not accurate on where Campbell was going to be drafted. Brad’s intel said that Campbell would fall no farther than the mid-20s. Brad said he thought about trying to trade down into the high 20’s, but he said he decided “not to get cute” and possibly lose the player. Brad was right, as a recent video showed the Bucs were probably going to take Campbell with the #19 pick. Our next pick was at #45. So we would have had to trade all the way up to #18 to get Campbell. I can’t recall ever seeing a trade quite that big. The closest thing I can remember is way back in 2003 and it cost a future 1st rounder to make it work.

1 Like

Branch was mocked frequenetly in the teens aand early 20s. I saw Hooker as high as 5 in some drafts and there was a lot of people in the media that didn’t see him making it out of round 1. Saw quite a few people say his floor was to Minnesota at 23.

I may have seen LaPorta in the back end of the first a few times, but he was generally considered a 2nd/early 3rd round prospect.

Regardless, the media only know so much. Just because they called Brian Branch a top 15 player doesn’t mean a single team had him in their top 15-20.

Imho carter was by far best player (non-Qb) in this draft. So why did nobody except philly at 10 want him? I believe it was Daniel Jermiah who brought up after carter was drafted that his collage coach’s had to convince him to work out and go to meetings…you cant teach someone to love football , i would not draft a kid like this in the first round not to mention top 6…

1 Like

Bingo. And if you don’t love football, you aren’t getting within a mile of a Detroit Lions locker room.

2 Likes