Lions scouts visited 5 Florida Gators games - a more in depth look

Could be the stadium has the best nachos and the hottest cheerleaders

4 Likes

Can you tell us the exact number of times they went to the other schools?

Nope. But if they went a lot, why was Florida reported and the others not? I’m just looking for the simplest answers here, and it could be we went to Georgia and Alabama just as much as we did Florida, but I think it would have been reported by the same people who reported our Florida visits.

I don’t know much about him aside from what I’ve heard people say he needs developing heard a few people (draft gurus) on a podcast ponder if the lions would grab a Dl who wasn’t going to be an immediate impact after pascal sat for so long….my two cents is he seems like a great fit w an upside.

Weird side note…have you noticed how slow off the ball he is? My buddy (a gator fan) mentioned it and he is routinely delayed off the snap despite being directly over the ball.

It’s something he’ll absolutely have to fix. He’s one of the slower snap-reactors I’ve ever evaluated.

He’s got that Chris Jones body and he’s willing to do what’s asked of him which are both pluses. But man, you want to talk about the flashes not matching the down-to-down consistency, this guy might be in a tier of his own. Maybe he and Mazi. It’s like, we’ve seen what you can do, why don’t you do it more often? Up to Brad & Co to get to the bottom of it but if he drops into the 3rd or so, I think his upside would make him a pretty good pick.

2 Likes

A beat reporter for the Florida Gators tweeted the attending teams at a particular game. The beat reporter added a comment at the end about it being the Lions 5th visit. People ran with it. But noone has ever taken the time to ask questions or provide any answers to basic stuff.

Fortunately someone put together a list. Here is a snapshot. I am going to guess that 5 is going to be the magic number for being there for a QB while 4 is perfectly normal and not driven by a QB. That’s the typical level of backing into a story that happens here. https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-2023-nfl-draft-team-interest-anthony-richardson-gervon-dexter

1 Like

Fair enough, the reporting didn’t tell the whole story. Nothing surprising there. Of course none of it means we weren’t there to scout Richardson.

I believe we were, and the number of of our visits was only part of the reason. I listed them ad nauseam on that Richardson at #6 thread so I won’t belabor them here.

It would be really interesting to see how often our scouts went to other schools, but I doubt those beat reporters would be putting in the same sort of work this one did.

1 Like

I reached out to Risdon on SM.
He stated that the Lions saw every SEC team at least 3 times.

4 Likes

Couldnt it just be a coincidence? Lions where scouting Carter, but they happened to be playing UF that week.

Jeff has said that the lions like Torrance and Ventrel Miller. He said it back in October. Now he also personally believes a qb should be in play at 6……I think that the tea leaves tell us something very clearly.

1. the lions are looking a guard early in the draft.
  2. they are looking at mid level line backer (money ball) that have specific types.
  3. they are at the very least doing their due diligence and giving the IMPRESSION they are considering a QB.
1 Like

There’s no reason to believe they’re not scouting Richardson heavily. They’ve said they’d do it, he fits the stylistic profile they’ve previously been enamored with, we’re probably one of the best places for him to develop, and he’s likely to be available where we pick. Who knows what the evaluation actually is, though…

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know where in the season the scouting came. Did we have early interest and cool? Two were first half, and also feature 2 of the likely top 5 qbs taken(Levis & Hooker). Georgia, A&M, and Vandy… those are 3 of the last 5 games of the season. Could be chance.

I don’t much care if it’s Richardson, or really whether we do or don’t draft him. What I understand about this thread is that the ppl vehemently arguing against the idea aren’t trying to convince us, really, but rather themselves. As with all things draft, only the future can judge the wisdom and efficacy of our current choices. There is no right or wrong way to build a team, so long as it results in W’s.

I can’t help but think in five years, in a redraft of the '23 draft, richardson is either #1 or #2 overall(Bryce Young being the other), or a late round pick/udfa.

I think its important to spend some time on QBs whether we intend to take one or not. The way I would do things is to go ahead and see what other teams are seeing. It will help with stacking the board and evaluating trade options. It will also help a few years from now when some of these guys become available. I would want to have someone on my staff sit down with Will Levis and see if he is going to be as impressive in person as I have a hunch he might be.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Why hand out a record-breaking contract when you can just draft a replacement? Easy peasey.

3 Likes

For me the simplest answer is that the Lions scouts were actually scouting multiple players so it took multiple trips.

We’ve mentioned 5 possible Florida players alone that they could have been looking at. Not to mention the players on opposing teams.

More than likely they were looking at multiple players.

Think about it …. If a scout needs 5 trips to evaluate a single player then we probably need to find a new scout.

2 Likes

The sh!t that Jeff Risdon says

IMO they were clearly down there to get many looks at Richardson. It’s far and away the most likely reason for that degree of due dilligence.

1 Like

Yeah I talked about Dexter’s incredibly slow get off like a month ago. When he gets going he’s a beast, but man that get off is just hard to ignore. I think I said something along the lines of I can eat my breakfast and be in the car before Dexter reacts to the snap.

2 Likes

I just watched some highlights of Richardson. I do see a little Mahomes in him.

The height that Richardson’s play reaches is everything you could ever ask for. That being said he’s a long ways away from the consistency in executing the mundane from being an effective QB. But I can totally understand if pro teams are thinking “i can teach him how to take 20mph off the short crossing route.” and other things along those lines.

It’s probably 80-20 he busts but in that 20 scenario he’s the talk of the league.

I think I was the earliest Richardson slappy on here (going back to the FAU/USF stretch last year), but even I fully acknowledge the extreme boom-bust nature of drafting him.

2 Likes

Yeah you were. I just watched part of the Tennessee game and now this paints the picture. Its why you can’t just watch highlights. He definitely has accuracy issues.