Lions set to unleash Jameson Williams once rookie WR forges chemistry w/Goff

“Certainly the speed does pop out,” offensive coordinator Ben Johnson said. “Hopefully we can keep getting him more reps as he’s getting acclimated and we’ll see where that takes us. Honesty, I’ve been more impressed than anything with once he gets in between those white lines his demeanor is all about football. That’s what we thought we were getting when we drafted him back in the spring and that’s held true.”

“That takes time,” Johnson said. “It’s different than when you acquire Josh Reynolds middle of the season and instantly that connection is there. So we’re in a race to develop that as fast as we can, push that envelope.”

“I think back in the spring time, we had a pretty good vision for how we’re going to use him,” Johnson said. “That hasn’t changed, especially after what I saw yesterday. It will be a little bit of trail and error, too. Is he Tyreke Hill or (Jaylen) Waddle from Miami? I don’t know if he’s quite like that. He’s unique. So we’ll find out what he’s capable of.”

Johnson said the biggest hurdle remaining for Williams is building chemistry with quarterback Jared Goff. The two worked routes together for the first time Wednesday, so there’s a gap that needs to be bridged in the coming days before the team would feel comfortable deploying the speedy receiver.

4 Likes
6 Likes

The Simpsons Fox GIF by AniDom

6 Likes

So Close Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 Likes

I literally can’t remember a rookies debut to be as widely anticipated as Jameson’s ever. That is in regards to just the Lions. Even when Stafford was getting ready to make his debut I don’t remember being this hyped.

He is gonna go out there and play 15 snaps and catch 1 ball for 6 yards and everyone is going to be talking about how hes a bust. Hopefully we give this kid some time to get his feet under him before we crucify him.

8 Likes

Well Stafford played week 1 and threw 3 INT’s, we have been waiting all year to see Jamo, that’s why the hype is so big IMO.

Also Stafford was considered a bust after 2 years, so was Okudah by most fans. We won’t know for sure until a couple years down the road. Charles Rogers on the other hand scored 2 TD’s in his first game and then never scored again. So, NFL debuts don’t mean much.

8 Likes

Good stuff man!!

3 Likes

Or he’ll catch two passes and have more yards than chark has this season by the end of the game.

9 Likes

Barry Sanders

5 Likes

^ This…you beat me to it

2 Likes

Yep he had sat out all training camp and preseason and signed the Thursday before the 1st game. He didn’t get into the game until the 3rd quarter, his 1st carry went for 19 yards. I knew he was special after that game

4 Likes

You must have not been around for the debut of Gosder Cherilus. I tried to get tickets to the home opener but the scalpers were going nuts. Roger Goodell was at the game as a fan, but wore a paper bag so people wouldn’t know he was there to enjoy watching Gosder play. He even brought a sign that said “not a costume” to throw people off. He originally made a sign that said “I’m not Roger Goodell in a costume” but his wife told him that might be too obvious.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.