Lions showing interest in Slot CB Kwaun Williams

Obviously were going to have to find a replacement for the two CB’s we lost.

I’m not sure a 29 year old slot CB fits the mold of a rebuilding team.

He ended his 2020 season on the IR with a knee injury. He was then suspended two games by the NFL for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drugs policy but the suspension was rescinded the next day after testing issues were discovered.

So I suspect the NFL will be watching him closely.

Im not sure a 29 year old former UDFA who is on his 3rd team excites me much.

1 Like

Looks like we are trying to bring Williams in for a visit.

2 Likes

We actually signed him for a little while a few years back, but I don’t know if he ever played for us. Either way he has been a very productive nickel corner for them whenever he has been on the field.

As far as his age, nickel corners tend to age a lot better then outside guys because if is not dependent on speed, but more so technique and agility in short spaces.

Chiefs are hosting a visit for free agent CB K’Waun Williams.

The Jets were previously to be reported to be interested in Williams as well. Williams was plagued by injuries in 2020 but still showed off some of his play-making abilities when healthy. He logged two sacks and a forced fumble to go along with his four pass defenses in eight games played. The 49ers never made him a full-time player in his four-year tenure with the team but he did peak at two interceptions in 2019. His role was primarily as a slot corner in San Francisco. A high-end role player, Williams would be a great fit for a contending team like the Chiefs if his services can be had for a reasonable price.

Him, Brian Poole, and Nickel Robey Coleman are the three guys under 30 who will come at a reasonable price who I want to compete for the nickel CB job. He would make an excellent signing for us, IMO.

Just looked and we were very interested in signing him back in 2017, but nothing ever materialized.

Richard Sherman, K’Waun Williams were PFF’s highest-graded CB duo

14. K’WAUN WILLIAMS, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

A true slot/nickel cornerback, Williams plays well through the heavy traffic that is inherent to the position, and he has excellent field awareness that allows him to react well to screens and completions in the flat area. Mostly a zone defender in nickel, Williams has read the patterns of route combinations well enough to hold opposing offenses to the lowest average depth of target (3.8) among all cornerbacks who played at least 300 coverage snaps in 2019. He’s allowed just 8.1 yards per reception all year long — second among qualifying players at the position — while giving up only 18 first-down receptions across his 60 targets. Along with Richard Sherman, Williams has been a stabilizing force in the 49ers’ secondary and has far exceeded the below-average performance of fellow perimeter corners Emmanuel Moseley (68.0 coverage grade) and Ahkello Witherspoon (63.5).

You have to have a body. Too many holes to fix in one off season. You’re going to get a couple guys to fill holes on short term deals just to buy time.

I agree, doesn’t excite. But not against it either. Keeps you open to not force draft picks.

1 Like

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·

3h

Updating some contract figures: — The #Jaguars guaranteed CJ Beathard $2.75M, an indication he’ll be on the roster in 2021 (more evidence Gardner Minshew won’t). — The #Patriots gave DL Lawrence Guy a 4-year, $11.5M deal. — The #49ers gave K’Waun Williams a 1-year, $2.378M deal

That has been the market for guys like K’Waun Williams. That is why I think we could sign two vet CB’s as insurance for the young guys. Would love to sign Brian Poole/Steven Nelson/Robey-Coleman for the slot and Casey Hayward/Gareon Conley/Dennard/Kirkpatrick as a depth option outside and to compete with the young guys. Signing both would probably cost no more then 5-7mil. Add in a vet safety and I would be pretty happy with our secondary.

I’d love to have Williams at that price damn. He’s solid. Of course we’d need to pay more.