Lions sign 2nd round Rakestraw

Ennis Rakestraw Jr. is on the books for the first time in his NFL career. The Lions announced on Friday that he has inked his rookie contract.

The hosts of the 2024 NFL draft showed a willingness to double-dip at the cornerback spot with their first two selections. After adding Terrion Arnold on Day 1, the Lions selected Rakestraw at the No. 61 spot. Both players will have a path to signficant playing time in 2024 and beyond if they live up to their potential.

Rakestraw spent four seasons at Missouri, establishing himself as an integral member of the team’s defense over the past two years in particular. Returning from an ACL tear in 2022, he racked up 12 pass deflections and 4.5 tackles for loss. The following season, Rakestraw was limited to nine contests due to core muscle surgery. That injury history no doubt hurt his draft stock, but he was still considered one of the top members of this year’s CB class.

Size was mentioned as a potential concern for the 5-11, 183-pounder in addition to a relative lack of ball production in college. Rakestraw recorded only one interception in 35 games, though he notched 107 total stops (including eight tackles for loss) and 24 pass breakups over that time. He also drew praise for his run defense and overall physicality, something which could help him carve out a role early in with Detroit.

Struggles in the secondary (and in particular at the cornerback spot) were a theme for the Lions last season. That drove the team to acquire Carlton Davis via trade and add Cameron Sutton during free agency. The latter’s arrest for domestic violence resulted in his release, however, and as a result it came as no surprise Detroit focused on further secondary additions during the draft. Arnold was the second corner selected, and he will be positioned to compete for a starting role this offseason. Rakestraw likewise could establish himself as a regular on defense in relatively short order.

With the Rakestraw deal now official, Arnold is the only member of the Lions’ draft class yet to sign his rookie contract. The latter’s pact will be four years in length like all the others, but it will also include a fifth-year option covering the 2028 campaign.

3 Likes

So when Arnold signs, will that be the last straw?

1 Like

Yes, and compared to the rest of the class, he’s gonna rake it in.

1 Like

God I hope Rakestraw is good. Or they will say “That’s why he’s named Ennis”.

(He’s got no “D”)

You guys are grasping at straws here. I hope you don’t get raked over the coals for it.

1 Like

I’m going on record as saying that Rakestraw is as if not more NFL ready than Arnold. Assuming this guy doesn’t get hurt, I actually think you may see him blossom and have more impact than Arnold this year. Hopefully both will be impact players.

1 Like

He gonna be like, “I drink your milkshake.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.