Lions sign CB Mike Hughes - 1yr/3.5m

Only 25 years old. Former 1st round pick by Vikings in 2018. Gave up 8 TDs last year to 6 pass deflections, but PFF rated him a 79.6 overall. Don’t know anything about him.

3 Likes

I liked him coming into draft

1 Like

Like this signing.

2 Likes

The Charles Harris of CB signings. Former 1st rounder who’s struggled.

9 Likes

He’s a grinder. He’s had off-field stuff (when he was younger) and injury stuff in the league. But he’s been through having to deal with charges, go back to community college, making it back to D1, drafted, hurt, etc. Adversity in there for sure.

Young guy but as I said he’s a grinder. I don’t think he missed any time last year and he did contribute to the Chiefs rotationally. Quick stat check he had 49 tackles, gave up 8 TDs but was also involved in 6 TO (int and fumbles).

BH and DC have obviously both talked to him and like his attitude and skillset so 25 years-old for 3.5? I have no beef here.

8 Likes

If Glenn and Pleasant can work magic with UDRFAs, there’s hope for this guy.

7 Likes

remake bingo GIF

3 Likes
1 Like

Could this besides depth allow us to move a CB to Safety?

This guy is a man cover guy maybe we had a fast long drafted pick to Safety giving us a lot of free speed Safety an draft are box safety

We will play a lot of 5 or 6 secondary More depth.

1 Like

Thanks for vid maybe they might move him to safety he is a hitter.

They must have a idea for him since he seems more of a Man at corner maybe let him play in box as safety

I do like signing we will see

1 Like

Scott Warheit

@swarheit

5m

What’s funny is Hughes is actually younger than Oruwariye. AO remains the “old man” of the group at the ripe old age of 26.

4 Likes

This is strictly Jeff Okudah insurance. There was clearly a need on this roster for a vet corner with starting experience. He has also spent time in the slot I believe so he could also compete with Parker

Overall a low risk, potential high upside signing PFF ranked him as the 18th graded CB last year.

5 Likes

If highlights tell the story, he’s really good at tackling the guy who just made a catch on him.

2 Likes

Who’s next, Derek Barnett? I am starting to see a trend here.

Charles Harris was our Derek Barnett. I can’t really see us going that route.

I like this as a flyer.

Hughes hasn’t failed in the NFL per se, he’s just kept getting injured. He actually played decently in a limited role in KC.

Come prove it.

3 Likes

A young CB working under Aubrey Pleasant? This guy just hit the jackpot.

8 Likes

And he scored more TD’s than Kenny Golladay last year despite being a corner.

7 Likes

He probably won’t feel that way when he gets to see Coach “Unpleasant”. Lol

2 Likes

Another excellent zero-risk, high reward prove-it deal by Lions’ FO. Holmes and co. just get it.

4 Likes