Lions still see potential for second-year slot corner Brian Branch to develop into safety

Well that the thing it’s ok if your not comfortable as long as Campbell and company are. You seem to be changing and ignoring things to fit your naritive.

3 Likes

Im more than happy if im wrong and he doest turn out to be great on the outside.

Just nervous is all. But i trust the coaching staff. If they think this DB room is where it needs to be. So be it. Lets roll

Yes. He’s one of those guys who got miscast as a slot bc of his height. But he’s a playmaker and he’s knows it so he’ll get intrepid with his eyes. There is some gambler to him and you just need to accept that savvy QBs and WRs will take advantage of it from time to time. Like say a Rasul Douglas type.

2 Likes

But what if we play a nickel base defense?

2 Likes

The base of Nickel is 3/4 Copper if that helps.

From what I’ve seen, Branch can “develop” into pretty much any position he sets his mind to, except maybe DT or Edge.

2 Likes

All jokes side I really think this is true

1 Like

Sport Animation GIF by Lobster Studio

1 Like

Agreed. If you actually listen to the interview, Dan basically said they shut that shit down quick and left him at NB to learn that position first, and still wasn’t sure year two was the right time to integrate the safety stuff.

Branch is the NB.

If he learns some safety stuff on the side, I’m not burning any pitchforks.

1 Like

Disagree with your idea . Robertson will not be slot he will be Outside CB that is his strength . Just because you see him as short CB he has played both slot an wide an his record shows his best is wide CB. They would like to use Branch as slot an also has a Safety in 3 safety look.
Thats not saying Robinson will not play some at slot but I wouldn’t name him as slot CB in a chart.

1 Like

Yeah and Robertson had like 16 ints in college. He has ball skills when given the chance.

1 Like

He definitely is. But the Nickel only played about 70 percent of the snaps last season. If we want Branch to be a full time player being able to play multiple positions would allow him to stay on the field all the time. Kerby for example played 94 percent of the snaps last year. I’d like to see that from Branch in year 2 as well.

1 Like

If you recall the inside the den episode of the draft, when they drafted him Dan said he would learn behind CJDJ…Branch wasn’t supposed to start until he blew everyone away in camp. CJ had the experience to shift to safety even though he was brought in to play nickel. I think they were trying to get their best players all on the field.

1 Like

Love all of this, but I’m not ruling out the prospect of Iffy’s ceiling being super-high either. Maybe he needs to be out there every play as well/instead?

1 Like

Availability is the one ability he has struggled with the most in the NFL.

1 Like

Darrell Green was the exact same size as Amik, played outside on an island and is widely considered to be one of the greatest cornerbacks to have ever played in the NFL. While I’m not suggesting Amik is a future Hall of Famer, it really is the size of of the fight in the dog and not the size of the dog in the fight.

1 Like

You’re 100% correct

Branch was asked last year if he liked playing safety or NB more and he said NB.

He likes being a NB he’s good at it. Let him do what he loves and slowly give him snaps at safety so you can cross train him.

Meanwhile we need more safety help.

Why label Brian Branch?

He can do everything.

Anything you ask he can do.

Why cant he just be a versatile player like Troy Polomalu?

He is a good football player. Simple as that.

Yes Branch can do everything but his skillset is by far best used at Nickel. That is where he prefers to play.

His versatility is great but you keep him in his best position unless injuries force a move.

2 Likes