Lions still see potential for second-year slot corner Brian Branch to develop into safety

Lions still see potential for second-year slot corner Brian Branch to develop into safety
Full article at Link.

A few snippets:

Branch was so good out the gate, the team pushed the boundaries of his capabilities, giving him extended time at safety, his listed position coming out of college. But it was quickly determined the added responsibilities put too much on the first-year defender’s plate, causing his overall effectiveness to dwindle. Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn recalibrated and locked Branch back into the slot corner role the remainder of the season, resulting in a strong finish more closely resembling the hot start.

Where Branch lines up in the future remains unclear. At the bare minimum, the Lions know they have an outstanding nickel corner. That’s a valuable spot on the field, even if it’s not an every-down role. But there’s also still a sense, particularly with an added year of experience, Branch’s long-term outlook could lead him back to safety.

“Certainly Branch has got flexibility to be able to play the safety position, we believe, here in time,” Lions coach Dan Campbell said at this week’s league meetings. "We already feel very confident about the nickel. He’ll only get better and better. We do believe he’ll be able to get there; it’s how fast do you get him there. What you don’t want to do is, all right, man, he can play nickel and safety, but it takes away from his nickel play, how good he is as a nickel or how good he can become. It’s finding that fine balance between the two.

Without committing to Branch playing, or even backing up, safety in 2024, it further highlights Detroit’s need to add depth at the position. They currently have three true safeties on the roster in projected starters Kerby Joseph and Ifeatu Melifonwu, along with 2023 undrafted rookie Brandon Joseph, who spent most of his first season on the team’s practice squad.

The added concern is durability issues with both of the starters. Joseph missed time last year with a hip injury that required postseason surgery, while Melifonwu has a long history of injuries that have cost him significant playing time his first three seasons.

“We’re still going to look for safety help,” Campbell said. "That’s not over, either. We know we need some, there again, bring in some competition in that room. So our eyes are there.

It is interesting in that the Lions did not see Branch as a potential starter when they drafted him. Whilst I was like we just got a new starter…LOL.

It does speak to the mindset of the whole org in that you will have to prove to us you belong on the field. Nothing will be given.

4 Likes

Can Glenn stop ■■■■■■■ with a good thing?

Special teams injury incoming

6 Likes

While Glenn is the DC this isn’t a Glenn mandate but more a DC and Glenn thought process from when they drafted him.
What I didn’t put from the article is the similarities to what happened with CJGJ in New Orleans with Glenn and DC impacting their thought processes on Branch.

The way i see the backfield currently.

CB1 - Davis, Dorsey, James
CB2 - Moseley, ____, Gilmore
NB - Robertson, ____
SS - Branch, Iffy
FS - Kerby, ____, B. Joseph

As much as I appreciate the quest for versatility and the desire to hide coverages at all costs in today’s game.

I miss the aspect of defense, the mentality of the old school where they would just line up in the same position every play and say you know what,

“we are better than you. it’s that simple. You know what we are going to do and we are going to still outman you and stop you”

4 Likes

Its all a chess game now. Trying to get an advantage with matchups. And you always have to be 2-3 steps ahead

2 Likes

I don’t see it as a bad move, they wanted and needed extra bodies at S and put Branch there to help, I’m not sure if we don’t bring in another S via the draft.

1 Like

The way i see it right now the lions could use
2 CBs and 2 NB/S

So whether its the draft or FA at some point between now and august. Yes they will still add.

If you actually listened to Dan he said Branch could play safety but they are not going to push that to the detriment of his NB play. That actually happened mid season 2023 so they went against it. They want him to become an elite NB before he gains any more safety skills.

Basically Dan said Branch is the NCB first and foremost. That is the best use of his skill set.

4 Likes

Branch showed an uncanny ability to make plays behind the LOS. it is important for him to be able to move around so the offense can’t pinpoint where he is coming from.

Once Branch is comfortable in the nickel, and it seems like he already is, he needs to be able to play multiple positions.

When he was nickel only his snap counts reduced quite a bit because sometime it just doesn’t make sense to play nickel. Being more versatile will get him on the field more.

With that said, I expect at least 60-70% of his snaps to be in nickel.

3 Likes

When they had him play more ss mid season 2023 his play dropped off. When they moved him back to NB for the remainder of the season he finished strong like how he started.

Yes they will develop those skills in time. But Dan said mastering Nickel comes first. Watch the interview. The click bait article title was misleading.

From all that i have read or heard about robertson is that despite his size he is better outside and that is where we should expect him to play

5 Likes

They can say that all they want.
Im not comfortable putting Robertson on the outside vs WRs 3-5” taller than him.

ST are about to dramatically change. I think we see ST TDs almost every week with the new rules. It’s going to be very important and viewed differently. There will be Devin Hester/Mel Gray-types again soon. They will be highly valued and impact games.

2 Likes

With much improved DL play, he’s gonna have to cover for 1/2 the time …maybe 1/3…we’re gonna be a lot better. I get your point, but also would like to point out that he’s a massive upgrade over last year. Also → Dre Bly was short and amazing!

1 Like

You may be disappointed we shall see

You should be

4 Likes

True, because he failed when he did it with the Raiders.

Asking because I know nothing about Robertson. Would he have been our best CB last season?