Lions tried to trade up with Falcons while they were on the clock in Rd 1

Just trying to get ahead of Cincy. After watching Burrow’s knee turned into corn flakes, most people probably thought they’d go Sewell, including yours truly. HoDan (doesn’t quite have the Quintricia ring to it, but I gave it a swing), said that Sewell had separated himself from the pack, so I do believe he was their guy. Fortuned smiled on us for once. Cincy pulled a Cincy, got a great player that has the ring knock with the QB, cool and all. But sorry Sewell is a better prospect than Chase is/was. Miami wasn’t a threat, so we stood pat. Kudo’s to Holmes for making an offer, but not selling the farm because they were in love with one dude.

Eh draft very could have well gone 5 - Sewell and 6 - Chase, leaving the Lions with Waddle/Smith/CBs. Sometimes the gamble is worth it. Like they said hindsight is 20/20.

1 Like

Were the Lions trying to trade up? Or were they doing their due diligence ensuring Atlanta was picking Pitts? They probably made calls to Bengals and Dolphins too.

I agree that “trying to trade up” is strong words for just putting in a call to see if the price changed.

1 Like

Indeed.

May have been a call just to see if ATL was picking a player (as opposed to trading out), who the Lions were reasonably certain wouldn’t be Sewell.

1 Like

I hope Holmes remembers this anecdote going forward on draft days to come. When you have a lot of needs, don’t reach, or overspend. Let it come to you.

1 Like

From where I sit, it seems clear the Lions had their hearts set on Sewell all along.

Believing the Bengals would select him at 5, they inquired of Atlanta what would be required to move to 4. They were probably stunned like many of us that the Bengals passed.

Then they held their collective breath at Miami’s selection- and went crazy with the announcement of… Jaylen Waddle.

Right there! Stayed silent and let the board fall. Got the 2nd best prospect at 7… HOMERUN

True true :+1:

I honestly believe a trade down 1 or 2 spots and Parsons would have been the pick if Sewell did not fall. Hell I think they had Parsons at 7 over all the rest knowing campbell. IMHO I think Parsons has a shot to be DROY- love him as a prospect. The only one I would have taken over him was Sewell so i cant be upset. Parsons wanted to play for Dallas per his standing on the star… I think they got a fkn beast. Would have love to have him however, we got Sewell! Gonna be fun to watch

Yeah, it’s nice to be both lucky and good for once.

anyone catch the article today in the DET News about Holmes meeting w/ lions season ticket holders? He talked about wanting to trade up to take Levi and credited John Dorsey for keeping him calm and letting the board come to him. Again, great decisions to surround yourself with experience when you’re doing the job the first time. That give me the most hope, he’s not trying to be the smartest guy in the room (insert pic of guy w/ bat at draft), he just wants to do it right. Gives me hope.

2 Likes

That’s what i think. More like due diligence. Previous conversation: Atlanta: we want your second rounder and next year’s first. Detroit: Um we’ll give you next year’s fourth. Draft day conversation: Detroit: is it still the same? Atlanta: Yeah its still the same. Click.

1 Like

No, it has a paywall. Any good tidbits?

I only subscribe to The Athletic right now.