Lions waive LB Curtis Bolton and TE Hunter Bryant

Getting ready to sign UDFA on Sunday.

6 Likes

We still have how many TE’s under contract? LOL, people here argued that we didn’t need to draft one because of all the one’s we had under contract and pointed out the upside of having Hunter Bryant. Well, your “upside” just left the building.

1 Like

I posted this back in January about how this 2022 draft class may be the deepest in NFL history in terms of volume.

@DeadStroke - Do you have a number on the total amount of SRA’s signed by players this spring? Does that number give us a good idea of the size of the 2022 draft class?

The 2022 UDFA pool is going to be full of guys that would’ve been 6th-7th round picks in previous drafts.

1 Like

I have us at 76 players right now. That’s 14 for draft picks and UDFAs, but teams are known to cut fringe players post-draft, too.

Looks like last year’s UDFA signings were about 12.

No, no idea. But yea, I think you are right, there is going to be a deep 2022 UDFA class. I’m assuming that the 2021 UDFA class was limited for reasons related to Covid college rules.

I have 78, I’d check your list against OTC’s Lions Roster

1 Like

Of course teams get around this cap by guaranteeing a portion of the players 2022 base salary, essentially increasing the signing bonus for the player.

2 Likes

Are you still including Bolton and Bryant the way OTC is?

1 Like

DON’T sleep on this guy, currently an UFA. He would be a really cheap option to add a veteran and this: " Eric Saubert, 6-foot-5, 253 pounds, and a former fifth-round pick of the Falcons in 2017. Saubert’s bread and butter has been his blocking—in 422 blocking snaps, he’s allowed just five pressures and has not given up a sack."

No, I had 80 before waiving them, so does OTC. Here’s the roster as I have it:

QB RB WR TE/FB OT OG C
Jared Goff D’Andre Swift DJ Chark TJ Hockenson Panei Sewell Halapoulivaati Vaitai Frank Ragnow
Tim Boyle Jamal Williams Josh Reynolds Jason Cabinda Taylor Decker Jonah Jackson Evan Brown
David Blough Craig Reynolds Kalif Raymond Garrett Griffen Matt Nelson Logan Stenberg Ryan McCollum
Steven Montez Jermar Jefferson Amon-Ra St. Brown Brock Wright Dan Skipper Tommy Kraemer
Godwin Igwebuike Quentiz Cephus Jared Pinkney
Trinity Benson Shane Zylstra
Tom Kennedy Matt Sokol
Javon McKinley
NT DE OLB ILB CB S ST
Alim McNeill Levi Onwuzurike Romeo Okwara Alex Anzalone Jeff Okudah Tracy Walker Austin Siebert
John Penisini Michael Brockers Charles Harris Derrick Barnes Mike Hughes DeShon Elliott Riley Patterson
Jashon Cornell Julian Okwara Chris Board Amani Oruwariye Will Harris Jack Fox
Eric Banks Austin Bryant Jarred Davis Ifeatu Melifonwu CJ Moore Scott Daly
Bruce Hector Jessie Lemonier Josh Woods AJ Parker Brady Breeze Aldirick Rosas
Rashod Berry Shaun Dion Hamilton Jerry Jacobs Jalen Elliott
Anthony Pittman Bobby Price JuJu Hughes
Tavante Beckett Mark Gilbert
Parnell Motley
Savion Smith

@coyote12 is going to be beside himself.

To be fair a lot of us thought he could be something but it just wasn’t happening and we need no shit NFL talent on the roster.

Every year we are all cheering for these UDFA’s to hopefully become good players for us.
Some people just put way too much stock into these guys actually panning-out though.

1 Like

I went back and found the missing player and formula that had me off by two.

1 Like

Guilty. I’m still rooting for Javon McKinley, Craig Reynolds, and Tommy Kramer.

I must admit that Hunter leaving makes you wonder if we’re targeting a receiving TE in the draft.

And I’m all for giving these guys a chance, just like they did with Bryant. AJ Parker was an UDFA, Jerry Jacobs, Scott Wright, Riley Patterson, Kramer and McKinley and outside of McKinley I expect them all to be back. Reynolds had already bounced around some and he should be back. In this draft if you go undrafted this is where you want to sign on, because we’re open for business and proved that if you can play you have a home.

I agree he had a chance , Lions cut Hunter Bryant with a non-football injury designation He still has some medical issue way I read that its to bad .
I still think we have enough TE s to look at i did name one in den mock draft.
Hockenson, TJ
Brock Wright
Garrett Griffin
These 3 i think right now would be the 3 . I think we have couple more who will push the two not named Hock for a spot.
Matt Sokol
Shane Zylstra
These two I think could push for a spot.

If he was waived with a non-football injury designation (just like he was in April of 2021), he will remain on the roster (unless claimed), but won’t count against the 90 man roster.

I doubt Griffin makes the team, if he does it means we whiffed on improving our TE depth. He has no guaranteed money so not a big deal.

I expect Jacobs to be starting.

1 Like