Lions wide receiver Room ranked dead last by wide margins

Bob Quinn would definitely reach for a WR #7oa, because of need.

We will see if Holmes is the same type of guy.

Looking at Quinn’s history, I don’t think that would be the case. Hell, I remember his first draft when we were begging him to take a WR. When interviewed about it later he said he wanted a WR as bad as anyone, but every time our pick came up a WR was never the highest rated on the board so he followed the board.

Quinn also had this weird obsession with the more boring positions. I think it gave him a sense of safety or something. In this draft I could see him staying put and taking Surtain or Farley.

Recent history showed Quinn panicking and reaching for a DB at 3oa because they moved Slay.

Reaching for a WR at 7oa because Golladay chose to go elsewhere is very Quinnsian.

Take the best player. Our roster has holes everywhere.

2 Likes

You would be hard pressed to find many sources that had Okudah outside of the top 5 players in the draft. Quinn stayed put and took the top player on his board, and at worst the 2nd ranked player on his board. He didn’t reach for a CB.

3 Likes

Every year around this time I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. Every year we sign a guys on the cheap who are coming off a serious injury or haven’t lived up to their “ potential “ yet and people think we found diamonds in the ruff. Those moves never workout especially for the Lions.

I get that fans want to make it look better than it is, but I’ve been saying this exact same thing all offseason. The WR corps stinks. Worst in the league by a mile. If you think you’re going to see those numbers posted above, you’re going to be sorely disappointed. These guys struggle with injuries a ton.

They NEED top talent. A #1 guy to take pressure off everyone else. So many people here think it’s easy to just draft a few late-round guys and plug them in, but it doesn’t work that way.

No your just trying to saying anyone that doesn’t agree with you, is Bob Quinn like. It’s not a reach when every nfl guy has them rated in the top 10, it’s only a reach because you don’t want a WR at 7.

1 Like

If you use Cephus’ production to replace Jones, now you have to find someone to replace Cephus’ production…

1 Like

I didn’t say anything about them not being ranked high. I said said take the better player.

Don’t panic, like you are, because Golladay left.

There might be great receivers available in the 2nd and 3rd. You have no idea.

1 Like

I agree with you on the idea of plugging in some late round guys. Those are flyers and partial lottery tickets. And while I agree we are at the bottom of the league in terms of our WR room, I can not agree that we are THE worst and by a wide margin. The Eagles entire receiving room has around 2,000 yards of COMBINED CAREER YARDS! That’s all of them added up about 5 deep.

I think part of why the WR room is dead last in my eyes is because nobody is signed long term. People hated on Bob Quinn for having a WR group with nobody signed long term except Cephus. Here we are in the same situation. I have little doubt that if Quinn was still the GM people would be hammering on this WR room and what an idiot he is. But because it’s the new guys, optimism is raining everywhere, and the 1 year WR deals are all awesome signings. Amazing even.

Fortunately the WR draft class and the Lions needs align for a big pick this year. It doesn’t have to be first round for me, but there needs to be a real addition to this group.

1 Like

Ok I agree with that, they will be good WRs in the 1st 2nd and 3rd no reason to panic . But maybe there locked in on one guy they think fits best for them. If they choose to take Chase , Waddle or Smith at 7 it won’t be a reach it’s probably who they really wanted.

1 Like

Good post and I agree

KG is a far superior WR than Tyrell Williams. I love how people twist numbers and try to use past production as what we can expect to get. Another is how they’ll slam KG and say he’s injury prone but completely disregard TW’s. Perriman is nowhere near the WR Jones was either. The only great thing I will say about our WR group is at least we have a TE and a RB who should lead the team in targets.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree completely. Not to say these guys are lacking in talent but they are no where near KG and Jones.

1 Like

Thanks Luther. I had nearly erased that from my memory. :joy:

yayyyyy we’re absolutely pathetic at something else, shhhocckker !!!

All fair points, but in this case I can’t say that I agree…

Stefon Diggs- 5th rd 2015 draft
D Hopkins- #27 overall rd 2013
Justin Jefferson- #22 overall rd 1 in 2020
Davante Adams- Rd 2 in 2014
Calvin Ridley- #26 overall in 2018
DK Metcalf- 2nd rd 2019 draft
Ty Hill- 5th rd 2016
Allen Robinson- 2nd rd 2014
DJ Moore- rd 1 pick 24 in 2018
B Cooks- rd 1 pick 20 in 2014
T McLaurin- 3rd rd 2019
A Cooper- ** #4 overall rd 1 2015 draft**
Robby Anderson- UDFA- 2016
AJ Brown- 2nd rd 2019
Tyler Lockett- 3rd rd 2015
Mike Evans- ** #7 overall rd 1 2014**
Keenan Allen- 3rd rd 2013
Corey Davis- #5 overall rd 1 in 2017
Marvin Jones- 5th rd 2012
C Kupp- 3rd rd 2017

Mike Evans, Corey Davis, and Amari Cooper are the top 10 overall picks who finished in the top 25 in receiving last year.

Hopkins, Jefferson, Ridley, DJ Mooore, B Cooks, all take between #20 and #32 overall…

D Adams, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Allen Robinson all Rd 2 guys…

K Allen, C Kupp, Tyler Lockett, T McLaurin all Rd 3 guys…

Ty Hill, S Diggs, and Marvin Jones are rd 5 guys and Robby Anderson Undrafted…

THIS GOES BACK TO MY THREAD ABOUT SIMPLY- BEING RIGHT!

Am I sure that J Chase will be a top 10 NFL WR in this offense? no…

Do I believe that T Marhsall will be a 900-1000 yard NFL WR if he has enough talent around him that he can’t be double teamed from day one? 1000% I believe that, and I feel the same way about Bateman too…

Do I believe that Elijah Moore has DJ Moore or Tyler Lockett plus level ability, yes with strong conviction!

So trade down to New England and get #15, 2nd and 3rd for #7

#15- take Parsons, Slater, Vera- Tucker at #15 and fill a huge hole with impact player.

To be safe let’s say it’s Vera-Tucker

1. Vera- Tucker
  2. Trade up using Rams 3rd and our 2nd to #31 take Marhsall, Moore, Bateman
  3. Pats 2nd- take best LB or FS available
  4. Lions 3rd- Amon-Ra, Dynami Brown, Tylan Wallace-
  5. DT like Osa from UCLA

I would take E Moore and Amon Ra St Brown all day and immediately feel like we had a WR Corps comparable to what the Rams has with Cooks, Woods, Kupp… E Moore (Cooks), St Brown (R Woods) and Cephus < Kupp but having T Will and Perriman too would be comparable.

Gurley > Swift/J Will
Hock > Higbee

OL would be pretty solid with Decker/Jackson/Ragnow/Big V/Vera Tucker

don’t agree-fine, but NOW we rank dead last in the WR group…NOW we do. despite who we once had…they are gone. and we rank last not by a narrow margin, not by a little bit, but by far. (now).
that means we got to do something about it -this offseason. I WAS thinking “man we just need A good WR maybe 2 and we’re fine.” I didn’t know we were dead last, until now. I wanted all defense with 1 WR, currently? I don’t think 1 WR alone will cut it.

2 Likes

This guy thinks the Lions have “the worst” receiving corps in the NFL, but he thinks it would be “aggressive” to take a receiver in the top 10? You’d better be goddamn aggressive if you have the “worst receiving corps”. Last time I checked this is a passing league. The Lions haven’t taken a receiver in the 1st round in 13 years. Take whomever from Devonta Smith, Ja’Marr Chase, or Jaylen Waddle you like and be done with it, and then take another receiver later for good measure. This isn’t that hard.

1 Like