Looking ahead to week 4 - Let’s talk NO

They can’t do that this soon

I’m wondering injury and risk… maybe one game rest… but I get what you sellin’!

I think it would be Jameis if they went that way

Man, talk about opposites for QBs.

True. I actually think he could be decent under Payton’s tutelage

Oh, I think Jameis is going to be a good QB. He’s super smart and really talented. I really wanted him as our backup and potential heir apparent.

All it would take would be to dial back the aggressiveness 10%, and I think Winston’s INTs would go down significantly. And you’d still have the gunslinger.

I think pairing him with Arians was just too much. Hyper aggressive passing coach with a QB that trusts his arm a bit too much.

They are … that’s the point I was trying to make.

Brees isn’t the Brees of past. He’s struggling to make deep passes and he knows it. Against Gb he had a wide open WR down field, he looked right at him and then checked down to the RB. I knew right then that they were beatable. If MP is smart he would load the box and force Brees into trying to make deep passes.

If Patricia learned at least one thing from all those years with Belichick, it should be to take away what the opponent does best. Let them try and beat us with their 2nd and 3rd options. We need to do everything we can to take Kamara out of the game. Triple team him if necessary.

There’s a fascinating video on twitter showing NE double teaming the Raiders checkdown options this weekend, because they knew Carr lived for the checkdown. That’s the sort of smart, inventive coaching I was hoping Patricia would bring.

1 Like

Totally agree on Kamara. How we play Brees brings up a different set of decisions? Do we make him go over the top? Play him like a right handed pull hitter and make him throw to the right outside of the hashes? I fear that we’re going to stick with the bend don’t break which is not the way to go IMO.

Tackling Kamara is going to be huge of course.

Exactly. That’s what I meant by loading the box.

I’d load the box, put a “spy” on the RB. Use a single high safety and zone blitz.

It’s just a short blurb. Hock and James will be important on offense.

1 Like

Nice find! It would be nice to see out TEs roll!!

Or use the idea of the TEs going out for a route and letting the RBs roll!!

I was happy to see Hock’s targets creep up although efficiency did suffer a bit. Through the first two weeks he had 9 catches on 9 targets. I’d like to see him at 8-10 per week. I’d also like to see him used in the screen game more to take advantage of his YAC prowess.

They’re going to MAKE SURE he plays (too much at stake). I’m praying for being 2-2 at the bye.

I really felt like ARZ did not have an answer for Hock and that the Lions missed an opportunity to ride that horse more. Hock was a clear mismatch for them.

I think he’s a serious mismatch against most teams

This is going to be a bit of a smash-mouth game IMO. I see the game coming down to the old classic LOS battle. If Kamara gets going, it’ll be a long day for us. He’s very patient on the LOS so even when it feels like everybody is in the right position initially, he still can make something out of it. Very frustrating for opposing defenses. The Lions need to limit the big plays, keep him between the tackles, and not let him bounce it outside.

The Lions also need to limit NO screen game. They love the screen game. They like different forms, like play-action pass right back to the back they play actioned to, once he’s through the hole. They also like to do the misdirection jet sweep stuff with their speedster.

On offense, if the run game gets stuffed, it’ll be on Stafford’s shoulders. Swift and the screen game may come into play more this game. Need to take some shots deep. NO has seemingly fast LBs but I think Hock may be able to get deep on them if the O-Line can wither their front front. Watch the safety blitzes by Jenkins.

I also think special teams could be a factor. Watch for Agnew breaking one. Game might just come down to who converts their red zone opportunities.

See, the saints being ranked 6th against the run, missing both their starters at corner and their best pass rusher, I don’t even want to try and establish the run early on.

I want the the lions to come out and throw the ball 15-20 straight plays, wear the depleted defense out, then attack them with the run

Cameron Jordan is playing by the way.