Mac Jones?

Thanks for reviving this thread. It’s fascinating how narratives and projections can change so much over 3 months. For the record, I don’t believe the Niners are taking him at #3.

For the record, I believe in 5 years, when we look back at top QB’s of the 21 draft, Mac Jones will be the leader of the class.

1 Like

Whatever money you are thinking about betting on that, please donate it to charity instead. :rofl:

3 Likes

I agree! Yes he had talent but he had to execute and he did. I love his game

He might be 1st… to lose his starting job???

If Mac goes to 49ers… he will have a QB friendly place to start with that run game and Shanahan scheming the route combos off play action… so I can see him being successful there.

On the other hand… if he ends up somewhere without a really strong running game… I see a rough time for him.

The vegas betting odds have Mac as the favorite to go 3rd to the 49ers.

So Todd McShay has been talking about his conversation with Alabama’s OC about Mac Jones. Basically he said that for the first 4 games of the season they were just having Mac “stay in his lane” and they kept things pretty basic and were relying on the playmakers to make plays. Then as they started to feed him more, he picked up on it quickly and was ready for the next thing. By the end of the season they had alot more on his plate. The OC said “I installed more offense with that kid than any other college QB I’ve ever worked with.” To me that could be true, or it could be pre-draft fluff like we see all of the time.

In my film study I mentioned that Mac seemed to be going where the play was designed, and if that play wasn’t open you could tell he was coached to just move on to the next play. But I had that nagging feeling that he was capable of more. Now that the OC has weighed in, that appears to be the case. So you have to view Jones film thru different lenses depending on what part of the year you are watching. It also puts the Georgia film into perspective. That would have been the first game that his receivers couldn’t just go out there and “out athlete” the opposing team. So he had some struggles early, particularly on plays that “didn’t work,” which is something normal QBs face on a regular basis. But it wasn’t necessarily Jones fault, because at that point in the season they hadn’t given him the answers to the test yet and hadn’t transitioned to the point of allowing him to think too far beyond the initial play design.

Just saw where Jones completed 21-22 passes against the Giants starting defense in 11 on 11’s, and 48-55 overall. Has looked incredible in pre-season.
He had a lot of haters here saying he was just along for the ride at Alabama, and couldn’t be evaluated. Eye roll.
Seems to be doing well for himself.

I always liked him. He’s very, very accurate and very cerebral and those traits can carry you.

1 Like

Not comparing him to Tom Brady but he has a lot of those traits. I’m not surprised he’s doing well.

1 Like

Someone is in line to win a prize?!

Saying its difficult to evaluate a guy based on his situation is a far cry from disliking the guy. Its just more of an unknown.

A lot of posters questioned Mac’s ability due to their having a great O-line and him not having to read defenses and progress through his reads. He’s looking like a steal so far but we’ll have to wait to see how he does in real-game situations against teams #1 defenses for a whole game.

2 Likes

100% right.

Preseason? Don’t talk about preseason!
Preseason? You kidding me???

I think he landed in a great spot, and he may turn out to be pretty good. But the Lions went 4-0 in the preaseason in 2008 and outscored their opponents 80-32 as well.

Just sayin’.

Same here. Saban was on record saying the guy was a technician, perfectionist, and mega driven. That’s what you want from a QB.
Saban gave the highest recommendation he could give to Bill B. That’s saying something.

1 Like

Love looking back at these threads.
Now it’s a fact that Mac Jones was good enough to allow for Cam Newton to be cut.

Nfl Draft Hello GIF by New England Patriots

I’m moving my timeline to 3 years. You a betting man Wes? :money_mouth_face:

If you want to lose your money earlier that’s fine. Did you pick a charity?

Reading defenses, progressing through reads, and his quick release are literally his biggest strengths coming out of the draft like literally better then anyone else. Not sure who was questioning that.

My biggest question was could he zip the ball through tight windows 15-20 yards downfield? I wasn’t sure if he could at the next level, but I admit I think I was wrong on that.