Making a case for Tiger All-Stars

Full article at link.

Look, we know this already: Tarik Skubal is going to represent the Detroit Tigers in the 2024 MLB All-Star Game.

Short of his left arm falling off — and even then, we suspect MLB commissioner Rob Manfred might duct-tape it back on and pretend like nothing happened, just to keep from having to pick an alternate Tiger for the squad — Skubal appears to have his ticket punched for Arlington, Texas, on July 16.

Skubal struck out 10 Milwaukee Brewers while allowing just one run over 6⅔ innings Sunday, moving into third in the American League in strikeouts (96) and second in ERA (1.92), while remaining first in WHIP (0.891) in 79⅔ innings. Those are, as the kids say, video game numbers, and that’s before we get to his ridiculous 101.7 mph four-seam fastball in Sunday’s third inning.

“I’ll take it,” Skubal said after the game. “I was surprised, as well, but I’m going to take it.”

Likewise, when the players’ ballots are tallied and the AL’s pitching staff is announced July 7, Skubal won’t be surprised, but he will be taking his first trip to an All-Star Game.

Another Tiger dealing with injuries, as Flaherty was bumped from Tuesday’s scheduled start with a back issue. He’s expected to start against the Astros this weekend in Houston, which should help his All-Star candidacy. Even with the missed start, Flaherty is fourth in the AL in strikeouts (94, behind Chicago’s Garrett Crochet’s 103, K.C.’s Cole Ragans’ 98 and Skubal’s 96), walks per nine innings (1.239, behind Seattle George Kirby’s 0.859), second in strikeout-to-walk ratio (9.4, behind Kirby’s 10.571) and fifth in WHIP (0.963). Add it all up, and Flaherty checks in as the AL’s fifth-best starting pitcher by fWAR (1.9), behind Crochet (2.3), Ragans (2.6), Skubal (2.7) and Boston’s Tanner Houck (2.9).

Yep, Skubal will probably start the game, and I expect Flaherty to at least make the team. He’s very deserving.

Btw, I feel like we should be working on an extension with Flaherty right now. It would be nice to know if we have him long term, before the trade deadline.

I’d hate to lose him and get nothing in return.