Malik Willis at #2?

No doubt, but the chances of fielding a great NFL QBs who was NOT drafted high are very, very low. Which is why you see teams like Cleveland and LA selling the farm to trade for a QB (who was originally drafted high).

So basically, if you take a QB high in the first, your chances of him working out aren’t great. But if you DON’T take a QB high in the first, your chances of finding a good QB are even worse.

1 Like

And the chances of the guy you draft being better than Goff, really aren’t very good. He was a number 1 pick himself and did take a team to the super bowl. Not saying he’s great at all, but he did look pretty good the last 6 weeks of the season. His QB rating was over 100 in those games.

1 Like

PWTS—post-Ware trauma syndrome

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1990/03/17/ware-makes-up-mind-enters-nfl-draft/dc912d55-69dc-4ed9-a279-caff1fefd3e5/

3 Likes

I just don’t like taking what is considered such a big project at No 2. Sounds like a big gamble and with all the holes on this team already, I just don’t feel good at taking him that high.

2 Likes

And do you remember how many homers on this board died on a hill defending BQ’s decision to do this? This is truly a bizarre place sometimes.

2 Likes

I mentioned this before, but I am starting to think Malik is going to be the pick.

If they truly believed in Goff I think they would have made more moves so far in FA. If Goff is the future at QB, this team really isn’t that far away from competing. Offense is already good enough to be a top 10-15 offense (assuming Goff plays like he finished the year) and if they made a few key additions on defense in FA and went defense heavy in the draft, this team would have a shot at the playoffs this year.

Mailk really seems like a Dan Campbell guy as far as his work ethic/character. Brunell even said at the Senior Bowl he believes he can make one of these guys a Pro Bowler in three seasons (I know he didn’t say Willis, but I believe thats who he meant). Holmes was able to choose the roster he wanted (could’ve been other reasons then Willis, I know). We also got an up close look at how he intereacts with coaches, teammates, his practice habits, film study, etc.

This is nothing more then an observation and a gut feeling on my part. I personally think we are keeping costs down with the idea that 2022 is going to be another year of development. Maybe we surprise and sneak into a wild card, but they are are focused on the end game. They can then trade Goff in 2023 for assets, and start building around a 2nd year QB on a rookie contract.

2 Likes

I think there’s 6 big reasons they might pick Willis …

1/ Culture fit. Willis seems like a good guy and he carries himself like a QB1. He comes across as confident and sure of himself without being arrogant. He’s easy to love.
2/ Elite tools. He has the arm and the wheels to be really exceptional. He’ll also sell some tickets.
3/ There’s no one else screaming to be picked at #2 and they’re all a bit of a reach one way or another.
4/ They can sit him behind Goff for a year and hopefully boost Goff’s trade value. With a good O-line, Willis would not be on a hiding to nothing from day 1. This also shelters the impression of a gradual rebuild which seems frugal, measured and sensible.
5/ Opportunism. The Lions may well not be picking this high again soon. It could be now or never. And trying to trade up is something they can only really afford to do when they’re nearly ready. And they’re not going to be nearly ready for at least 2 years - they might conclude that’s too long.
6/ The biggest reason though for me is structural. Having a QB on a rookie contract for 5 years frees up significant resources. And those 5 years coincide with Holmes’s and Campbell’s window to succeed. If this rebuild is going to be successful - they might calculate picking Willis is a risk but possibly their best chance.

10 Likes
 I am in complete agreement on taking Malik #2, assuming if we go this way  MC/DC thinks the potential is there.
 Watching other teams scrabble for QB is a position the Lions want to avoid. In today's NFL having a quality backup can help keep you in the running for playoffs.
 DC , I think, can mold Malik into what he wants.
3 Likes

I know a lot of people would hate it but let’s be honest, there is really nobody to he excited about that is worthy of a #2 pick (even Hutch really).
The fact that somebody like Travon Walker who is mid 1st talent in most drafts is being talked about as a top 5 or even top 2 pick illustrates how awful the top end of this draft is. One of the worst that I can remember.

If you’re going to take your shot at 2, take it with a QB that has upside.
Another thing is that you will never get more value than you’d get with a QB if you hit so they should go get him if they believe in his talent. Really high bust potential but I’d probably be more excited with a Willis pick than any other player available in this draft, for whatever that is worth.

Regardless, I give this an almost zero chance of happening. I think they believe in Goff and will give him a legit shot to earn a long term spot here. They’re more likely to take Drake London than Willis IMO.

1 Like

If Holmes/Campbell think he is the guy to take this team to the playoffs? Sure. I’m all for it.

I personally don’t see it. Willis is way too inconsistent for me. But I also thought Herbert would flame out and he is fantastic, so my evaluation skills at this position are weak.

1 Like

Don’t get yourself down. I also predicted disaster for Herbert. lol

1 Like

I think that is a major factor as well. If there was a JaMarr Chase, Chase Young, Myles Garret type prospect at the top starring us in the face I get it. There isn’t. Hutchinson is the best of the bunch, and he likely doesn’t go top 5 last year. Walker, KT, Hamilton, Ikwonu, and Johnson. All 5 of those guys are getting tossed around here. There is clearly not a surefire option. Maybe the Lions love one of those guys and its an easy decision for them, who knows.

From my perspective, I think the guy they love is Willis.

6 Likes

The level of competition is what really concerns me.

He played only 1 top 25 team last year, and he had 0 TD’s and 3 picks in that game. Most of the teams he played, were pretty bad.

1 Like

While you may be correct it could also be that Holmes/Campbell view the draft, more than FA, on how to build this team at least the core. So what they did or didn’t do in FA has little to do with their views of Goff.

Part of that is a function of need. If the Lions needed an OT, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

1 Like

There is a good chance he ends up number 2 from what I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you.

3 Likes

I didn’t know this site had a TRS-80 emulator setting. @Nate Hey can we get Oregon Trail on here?

THIBS IS DEAD, DIED OF DISINTEREST… :skull_and_crossbones:

10 Likes

I don’t know about that either. Sewell and Slater would likely be the class of this tackle group as well.
The only area where the top end of this draft might compete with others is safety with Hamilton. Other than that, the other position groups are weak at the top, relatively.

I completely understand, and I have the same questions. You also have to realize the players around him are not NFL caliber players. So playing against stiffer competition, when your supporting cast is terrible, is a tough judgement to make. Sometimes you have to take glimpses, good or bad, and not the overall body of work. How was his coaching as well? If the guy has the smarts, work ethic, and personality on top of the physical traits, somethimes you overlook things like competition.

This is definitely the most uncertainty I’ve seen surrounding one of our picks so close to the top of the draft. I think even at #7 last year, the majority were in agreement of Sewell/Chase if one was there.

2 Likes