Mark Schlereth brings up great point on 4th down benefit for 3rd down

We always talk about DC’s aggressiveness on 4th down.
MS talks about the impact it can have on the players for third down.

https://x.com/markschlereth/status/1807202628532949482

5 Likes

Dan Campbell. Goat
Sewell. Goat potential
Foxy-boy. Goat

Holmes developing that way nicely.

1 Like

I absolutely love this team’s aggressiveness on fourth down. We might not win that Rams game without that fourth down touchdown to LaPorta. It doesn’t work every time obviously, but nothing is 100%. I think the players love it and are motivated by the aggressiveness. They want to punch people in the mouth and that’s what Dan allows them to do. When we start winning Super Bowl, this will be a very popular team nationwide. I can’t believe I just typed that last sentence.

4 Likes

Here is another thing that Chris Long (former NFL DE) said in an interview with Analzone. Chris said that knowing we are willing to go for it on 4th down changes the mindset on 3rd down, which is why we are not scared to run the ball on 3rd and long. He said we do it more than any other team in the NFL. Because to us if we can get to 4th and 2-3 we consider it a win. Chris said that is “really f’n annoying” to a defensive player because it makes it hard to pin your ears back and tee off on 3rd down. So it helps pass protection overall because the defense has to treat 3rd down against the Lions like its a 2nd down play. If not you are going to get gashed by our run game.

9 Likes

I forgot he said that, thanks for resharing that.

2 Likes

Even on punts the other team can’t be taking anything for granted. :grinning:
I like Dan’s aggressiveness, and he has the players to do the job that have the mindset that if he calls it they are gonna make it happen.

1 Like

I rewatched the KC game recently and let’s not forget that the fake punt near our own 17 yard line aggressively set an emotional tone for the game. It also resulted in a TD and stunned KC. That and some of the good fortune that follows Dan around like a puppy won us the game.

2 Likes

Tongue Goat GIF

Jon Jones Sport GIF by UFC

2 Likes

Running on 3rd and long and the second the handoff is made you’re going, “NO,no,no…YEESSS!”

3 Likes

It’s a sneaky call for sure… but when they trot out 5 or 6 db’s on 3rd down and long… it’s sometimes a great call.

2 Likes

For most teams, any gain short of the first down is no gain at all.

For the Lions, that’s just not the case.

I can definitely see the “f u” reaction to that by the defense.

1 Like