Martin Mayhew is expected to remain with Commanders

Great news. They need his influence, particularly his advice concerning draft picks.

1 Like

I am not a fan of how this all went down, mainly because I hate the 49ers. :rofl: Nothing wrong with Mayhew. But Mayhew was only “GM” of the Skins for a few seasons, but the 49ers raked in free 3rd rounders for him being hired.

But that only scratches the surface of why it annoys me. Was Mayhew even really THE GM of the team, the way Brad is for us? Maybe…maybe not? First, Mayhew reported directly to Ron Rivera for all personnel decisions. So Ron was potentially the real GM with Martin playing more of an advisor role and handling the day to day activities of the personnel dept. But he wasn’t alone. Ron also had Marty Hurney hired for essentially the same role. For anyone who is not familiar with Marty Hurney, he was the GM of the Panthers who hired Ron Rivera. They ended up moving on from Hurney to bring in Dave Gettleman in Carolina, but much of the key pieces of their Super Bowl team were brought in by Marty Hurney (Luke Kuechly, Josh Norman, Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart, Greg Olsen, Thomas Davis, Ryan Kalil, etc). When Gettleman was fired, the Panthers re-hired Marty Hurney while Ron was still coach there.

As the story goes, Ron interviewed GM candidates and Martin and Marty came out at the top of his list. So they hired both guys and had both guys report to Ron. They just decided to give one a GM title with the other getting a different title. Mayhew, a one time player for the Redskins, got the GM title and Marty got an alternative title for what Ron Rivera said would be “an overlap in responsibilities.”