Matt Corral or Malik Willis Right Now?

I don’t like that much predetermination heading into a draft. Let the board fall as it may. For the most part we need help all over the place.

I do hope we can show progress in the win column. If so I think we can be a player in free agency due to cap space and our coaching staff.

Marcus Williams and Allan Robinson are two guys that I’m very interested in. Both are excellent, both are likely to hit free agency and we have ins with each of them. But we have to remove any doubt as yo whether we’re on the rise.

The Panthers have quite a few good players.

However…I can’t get too excited over their plan when they have chose to roll with Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold in the last 2 years… when they could have landed Herbert with a trade up in 2020 or Justin Fields in 2021 without even making a trade.

1 Like

Respect your opinion, but they aren’t the only team kicking themselves on Herbert and the jury is still out on Fields. It’s a balls move to draft D across the board, but IMO it’s put them in the right direction, and that’s all I’m hoping for in the next few years for the Lions.

2 Likes

you might be right too… all they need is Russ Wilson or Deshaun Watson to land there and they will be looking really tough!!

I agree

You must be looking real hard, the truth is Levi and Sewell are both playing very avg at best lot of rookies out there showing alot more then these 2. We had Brockers Williams and needed A McNeill . But Levi was not needed and his play doesn’t make him special in any way and he needed to be special to justify a 2nd Rd pic at one of our deepest positions but it was a reach on a player we didn’t need. Sewell is not as good as Slater and Sewell is not playing at a top 10 pic level once again he should have been special to pic him at LT when you just resigned your LT to Hudge contract. Hell we got UDFAs that are out playing some of our draft pics.

A 2nd for Levi is alot for 1 tackle per game.

Nope. Not “looking very hard” at all. Just trust my eyes and don’t succumb to the “Lionized hyper-criticism” that many fans on here do. Levi defended the run very well today. It was quite evident if you were paying attention. It’s the first time I’ve noticed him all season. Maybe it was a one off but I don’t think so.

Sewell was great the first two weeks but has since struggled. I’m quite confident that he’ll be really good as I’m very familiar with the player and saw him in person a number of times.

Anyways, we had a damn good draft. Need a couple more.

3 Likes

Neither unless either one is so much better than what we expect coming out in 2023.

Instead I’d like the team to focus on getting some weapons around Goff. If Goff’s level of play doesn’t improve for the rest of this year or 2022 (with added weapons) at least we’ve given him a chance to prove it. Brady couldn’t win with this cast around him.

Then again it’s clear that for many here Goff has replaced Tavai as the scapegoat for the losing this year.

Definitely Willis.

He’s raw and will need to sit a year. But he’s got two things Goff lacks: mobility in the pocket and the ability to make plays with his feet, and a cannon arm.

He’s got a lot to learn. But if he interviews well, shows the ability to pick things ups and be a student of the game, then I pull the trigger…

I think he may go #1OA. He obviously needs to play much better than he has recently to get there but I imagine he tears up the pre-draft process.

Personally I pass on QB at least until our second first rounder and don’t feel the need to go QB unless the fit is perfect.

I think we can upgrade at QB, but I agree that the answer isn’t in this draft.

The thing that’s somewhat intriguing about Willis is, if you say that his competition is questionable, and he’s really raw, and would probably have to sit for a full year before he’s ready, you’re in the exact, perfect situation to do just that.

1 Like

Exactly.

And I think that fact won’t be lost on Holmes. Gives him an ace up his sleeve and the fans something to look forward to while they upgrade the rest of the roster.

I mean, what do people think high picks are for, if not a potentially elite QB? The Lions haven’t drafted one since 2009. Goff came over as part of a nice package, in part because of his heavy contract.

The other thing they need to do with one of their top three picks is draft a stud WR. They’ve got a nice young room and just need that game changer.

Yep, safety and LB are big needs too. But you’ve still got one of those three picks and rounds 3-5 to land some nice prospects. It ain’t all going to get done in one year, but if you get your QB of the future in 22, he should be ready to go the following year. Makes perfect sense to grab him sooner than later. If Willis checks all the boxes mentally, he’s certainly got all the tools physically.

1 Like

I’m still not there on a QB.

Sign me up for defensive two out of the top three picks or all three.

1 Like

I think Willis’ stock is going to keep rising. His “tools” are elite, full stop. There is a lot of amazing tape whether you want a dangerous runner or accurate deep ball thrower from the pocket or on the run. He doesn’t go down easy. Now I haven’t really delved into the neck up evaluation. Don’t know anything about the human being. Just watched him do things that can translate to the league and things we will never get from Goff. I’d drop our 1st on him if the neck up is solid. I think we need to start taking some swings at QB. Kid looks like L.Jackson to me.

2 Likes

Willis
Metchie
Hill

First 3 picks. That’s a new QB a good wr and a young safety to pair with tw3

I don’t get the love for Corral. I am all for Willis though. We are getting the #1 pick next year, might as well get used to the thought that he is going to be the guy.

Grayson McCall 79.8% comp 1,478 yards 14 TD’s 1 int

Carson Strong 69.3% comp 1,595 yards 14 TD’s 3 int’s

Strong may end up going in the first, hard to say. McCall is the Mac Jones pick of this years draft. There is talent at the QB position but I don’t see anyone jumping up to make us an offer on one.

Sam Howell’s comp % has dropped from 68.1 to 60.5, this might be the worst year for QB’s in a long time. But, it’s also because most of the teams with bad records aren’t there because of their QB play. So, where’s the rush to the plate? I’m all in on taking D.

I am also a fan of getting the ball rolling on the next possible franchise QB sooner, rather than later. Indeed the team has massive needs at damn near every position, but if Brad identifies a QB that he thinks is worthy of taking the reigns by 2023, and said QB is available with one of the first three picks, then he has to pull the trigger. If not, then I reckon drafting a QB in 2023 will probably be the case…but man, getting that guy in the pipeline in this upcoming draft, get’s the team ahead of the curve for if/when Goff get’s bounced.

And for the record, count me as 100% on the Corral train…especially if he’s sitting there with our Rams 1st rd pick, or even our first 2nd rd pick. I’m not opposed to Willis, but Corral is clearly playing very well against a higher level of competetion in the gauntlet that is the SEC.

Completely agree… if he process info and learn… I would much rather take a guy with a high ceiling.

I think it is easy for people to overlook the fact there is rarely ever an athletically gifted QB that is a “polished” QB. I think the reason is that those types of athletes make it too easy for their high school and college coaches to utilize their running ability… rather than rely on them being pocket passers.

I will also say that I would be OK with taking more than 1 “swing” at QB in the next few years if a QB has those elite traits. Teams have been able to move average QBs for decent returns… so the last thing I would fear is having too many QBs that have legit potential to be a long term solution.

2 Likes