Mekhi Wingo Could Be Better Than Byron Murphy?

I’ll start by noting that Mekhi played about the same number of snaps last year as Byron did–in 8 games with a lingering injury before getting surgery, as opposed to Byron’s 13. In 2022 he played 703 vs 357, so Byron was regularly fresher. Does Byron have endurance issues? I don’t know, though I know that Jer’Zhan Newton took 666 and 749 snaps in those seasons.

Both are 21. Their measurables are comparable: speed, agility, arm, wing, VJ, broad, bench. Slghtly better scores were split evenly. (You could look it up.) Bryon was 13 pounds heavier at the combine at 297. Both played an SEC schedule. PFF graded Wingo as a better run defender and tackler in both 2022 and 2023. Murphy had better overall and pass rush grades in both years, with 2023 being when Wingo played through injury before surgery ended this regular season.

I asked the question. I don’t know. What’s the answer?

1 Like

This is why I liked him so much (my DT3). He’s not quite there yet, but he’s got the upside to be better than both Murphy and Newton.

He’s not better right now and he’s got further to go, but as you mentioned he was playing through injury this year. He also had to split reps with Jefferson and Maason Smith (both of whom were drafted before him), and was often played out of position because of it. (A lot of snaps at edge. I expect us to give him some, but not to the level LSU did).

I think Wingo’s more explosive than both Murphy and Newton, and that’s saying something as both those guys are quite explosive. I think he’s got more pop in his hands too and I think he’s equal as a run defender.

He’s not nearly as advanced with his hands or rush plan as the other two, he’s not as nuanced or slithery as Murphy and he’s doesn’t understand angles as well as Newton, but I’m confident all of that will come. You mention he and Murphy are the same age but not quite, Wingo just turned 21 whereas Murphy turns 22 at the beginning of the season. There’s a year of development between them I think.

I am also betting on his attitude and work ethic. There’s just no way this guy isn’t gonna take to coaching like a fish to water, which makes me very confident he’ll reach the relatively high ceiling I see in him.

15 Likes

Love all this. Thanks so much for the information and insight.

4 Likes

Also note that Murphy had Sweat playing right next to him, I am sure that helped open things up for Murphy. Not that Mason Smith is a slouch but I think teams would game plan more against Sweat.

4 Likes

This pick made it up for me on the project (Manu) pick a little. He was a top 100 player to me in this draft. His height worries me a little but I think his short area burst makes up for it. I believe he will be in the rotation by the middle of the season.

1 Like

I like Wingo as the sleeper pick from this draft.
I can see him getting into the 2 deep as the 3T behind McNeill.
Arnold is the obvious impact star of the draft, while Manu & Mahogany are developmental projects meant to play in future years.
Vaki will be a Special Teams stud right away.
I’m not sure if Ennis will play much this year outside of injuries.
Maybe Special Teams.

2 Likes

I wish Bad Holmes would look for a stud 3-tech DT. Or just a DT that isn’t an NT. It’s not like great DT’s aren’t great at both pass rushing, and stopping the run. His only real attempt was Levi Onwuzurike. To be fair, the draft has been weak at DT’s. But I still wish he would take a chance on some, and not just late rounders. I wish he’d invest more on DL period. Pass rush helps the pass defense. This is where the Rake pick bothers me. Manu, is a freak with high potential, but if you’re going to make a trade, I would rather it had been for Kris Jenkins, or someone else on the DL.

Alim has become the 3-tech, and despite him getting 5 sack (?) I’m not sure how good he is. He might be a good Detroit Lion, but not sure how good of a player he is in general. Like, DeForest Buckner is good anywhere. Alim wasn’t missed at all when he missed time. Maybe that’s a testament to AG.

I like Wingo because of his position. It was a need. I would like Wingo to gain 10-12lbs. Too short, and lacks length for a DE. Not enough weight for a DT. His athletic ability doesn’t stand out to me. I think at 284lbs his combine numbers weren’t great.

There’s no comparison right now between Wingo, and Murphy. I can only hope Wingo is a draft steal, but unlikely. Here’s to hoping he’s the next Aaron Donald…lol. There’s always a draft steal so who knows?

Guy just turned 21 a few weeks ago. Has a ton of upside.

1 Like

He does for sure. Not counting him out. I have high hopes. I’m just being more realistic.

1 Like

Uh, I think some of you guys are doing this wrong…

Our first two picks are clear first ballot hall of famers. The next two are clear all-pros with a little bit of seasoning. The last two are diamonds in the rough, who are sure to be pro bowlers!

It’s the week after the draft. I can get ‘realistic’ later. For now, I can sit in my fun, nice, ignorant glow, and pretend all is right with the Lions world. This is a survival strategy from the Millen years, and I have decided to keep it for now.

For the record, I am actually kidding, and I love the nuance and debate. It helps me understand these players a lot better, since a lot of you guys put in so much work on these prospects. You are all awesome!

8 Likes

Wingo might be my favorite pick along with Arnold, The guy has some real pass rush chops. Is a perfect fit with our group. What a bargain were we pick him. He may have a St.Brown type effect.

5 Likes

I understand your concern for impact players at DT.
I think Holmes now has them in the starters McNeill and Reader (like everything in football "if they stay healthy).
Reader is a very good run defender and one of the best pass rushing NT’s in the game.
McNeill was blossoming in his first year as a 3T and should really break out this contract year with Reader next to him.
I think the Lions did miss McNeill when he was out, but AG compensated by really turning up the pressure over that span.
Drafting Jenkins was not the answer.
He is a solid player but definitely not a pass rushing 3T.
Although undersized, I think Wingo has more potential to be an impactful interior pass rusher. Also, this is Levi’s last chance to prove he can be what he was drafted to be.
Pass rushing DT’s are hard to find. That’s why all the good one’s command over $20M/yr.

2 Likes

What exactly was Wingo’s injury last year?

Animated GIF

And this is his first year being healthy during the off-season. Terrell Williams as a DL coach was in high demand this off-season and he chose Detroit. Levi and BroMart might be his biggest beneficiaries. Everything is possible in the spring!!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Oh man that sounds painful.

The guy’s a badass.

2 Likes

Alim may get the tag instead of an extension IMO.

3 Likes