Mel Kiper on “The Trade Up”

Had we kept our picks…

Cine, C Watson, Paschal, Tindall….

Of course this would have been closest to our Den mocks, but the reality is many thought GB or KC could grab Watson, and had Detroit not already grabbed Williams, and the Vikes showed their hands passing on him, it’s entirely possible either team would have jumped up.

When you hear how badly they wanted Paschal, and you see which guys went right before 66…. I’d suggest he also may not have made it…

If their goal was a firm move to a 4-3 and the plan was to play Paschal at LDE on early downs and move him inside as a rush DT on passing downs… there aren’t many guys who fit that profile period, let alone in this draft and likely available at #66

So what if it was

Cine, Paschal, Tolbert, Tindall…. I mocked us Cine, Tolbert and Tindall there more than a few times…. Is this better?

Cine, Mafe, Tolbert, Tindall?

If they love Paschal as a home run pick, then the trade is an absolute no brained.

J Williams on paper call Watkins or Tolbert is a far surer solution for WR1… I love Tolbert in Dallas as a supplement to Lamb and Gallup, but not as much here.

You guys see this? Talib nailed it back in December…

15 Likes

YES! This is something I’ve been trying to convey. Some want to act like we have ZERO insights into Goff’s capabilities.
We definitely got insights as to how he responds to adversity.
Also…Last year doesn’t have anything (or can have little) to do with this year, if we grow as humans…Goff WILL grow.
Combine that with a dramatic change in situation. I’d be surprised if our O wasn’t in the top 10. I feel thier ceiling is WAY up there (maybe 5-6).

I agree, it should be in the top 10… The only reasons it wouldn’t be is 1. Jared Goff or 2. Injuries

Not just that part!

7 Likes

Damn, he really nailed it!

2 Likes

Mel also seems to forget, we got this WR for 5 years!
These guys are becoming really expensive.
Love Talib’s assessment. I think this offense is really going to go!

2 Likes

(This was at the end of that Dec. 19 game when they clobbered Arizona; 4:21 in the 4th / game is available on YouTube at the moment)

1 Like

Aqib for GM???

4 Likes

The fact that Williams will grow as part of the core of young players is like a double bonus vs having to get the team ready and then acquire star power through free agency.
Cudos to Talib, but to Brad Holmes as well. This a was a pro move.

1 Like

After having Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Derrick Williams and Tyrell Williams…who knew Lions fans could get so excited about having another WR named Williams?

1 Like

Any Lions fan who had the capability of learning lessons from past experiences is called an ex-fan.

6 Likes

was watching ESPN on an airplane yesterday and they teased Keyshon Johnson’s top five rookie receivers. with the tease ‘and someone surprising will be left out’

Williams didn’t make the list and the surprise guy left out is Wilson. Not even a mention of the Lions and Williams

Also Keyshon is terrible on air talent

1 Like

Lions fans to start every season:
Baby One More Time Dancing GIF by Britney Spears

Lions fans by Thanksgiving:
bored black and white GIF

Lions fans by draft time the next year:
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

3 Likes

I like Aqib. He gets a lot of flack for his style/vernacular, but I think he has excellent perception of the game, and nit just the on field x/o part of it.

6 Likes

Keyshawn has been a jackass very consistently his entire public life. He brings just about nothing, to every conversation, ever.

5 Likes

Cutting.

Luke Bryan Drinking GIF by Two Lane Brewing

1 Like

I was getting overwhelmed with all the chatter and conjecture prior to the draft, but now with the dust settled and the draft over I feel really good…even confident.

It’s not so much that we’ll have more wins and losses than folks expect, my confidence comes from having an administration and staff that’s acquitting themselves quite well thus far.

I’m excited to see this team win…and win soon.

4 Likes

It was really interesting to hear warren sapp talk about him after they won the super bowl in 02. Sapp is not a fan.

2 Likes